We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Venice

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Venice

Rome -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k15247…

Florence -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k15364…

Venice Day 1 - rest is still in progress

I am very happy we travelled in this order, all along I had told the Mom's and Kelly ---Venice will be without heavy agenda's, this will be the time to relax more,

the train ride -

this ride was from florence took about three hours , not too bad, had a beer and some chips in the little cafeteria by the dining car, i like people watching and I found something else I like to look at , tennis shoes, generally americans wear white ones, i guess to match everything but in Italy i'm seeing so many different colors and styles, some are quite bold , i'm not a big tennis shoe fan but i became the tennis shoe observer, so while having my beer, i'm checking out the tennis shoes of the fellow passengers.

the train comes to a stop, and i want a smoke, doors are open , a fellow who was in the snack room , is going out on the platform for a smoke, so i'm going too while Mom being a Mom is saying , you better watch it or you are going to be left here, i told her "u better grab me than and pull me up or you'll never find your hotel in venice"!!!

finally the train stops at what we think is our Venice stop,,,,,,,, start that nightmare of a job collecting the suitcases from above, moving down the aisle, and guess what? it's not our stoppppppppppppppppp, it's Mastre, someone is kind enough to tell us and THANK GOD , they did, ok sweating now----- get back to the seat, next one is the real deal !

my heart is starting to race and the excitement is building and i'm waiting for my first look at Venice, we go in the station, than out to the waterbus stops, and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what a sight ! that first glimpse of Venice, on my gosh, wowwwwwwwwwwwwww , wowwwwwwwwwwww and more wows, this is it ! it's better than any pic i have seen

and it's hot ! i have a jean jacket on, sweater tied around my neck and i'm starting to roast , i go down to the ticket ramp but i'm not sure what waterbus since it's all in my travel book which was left at home, i find that it's 41/42 but i don't know what stop to get off at -- i know we are to go to cannaregio, i go to the ticket booth to buy all the water passes, we are buying the 72 hr one , find out that we should keep going left , by the next bridge is the 42 stop, cool we are off, with wayyyyyyyyyyyy to much luggage, which i'm nervous about, the first waterbus ever for us is here !! i struggle and i mean struggle, trying to get the luggage on, ( helping the mom's ) the attendant tells us where to stand with it -- he's brisk yes, there are two older ladies near me (americans) and they have maps of where hotels are located, they ask me where i'm going and than proceed to look our hotel up on their maps, they can't find it, ( ahhhhhhhhhh the heart is starting to race a little harder ) i decide to approach the "brisk" attendant, i tell him the hotel name " Ai Mori d' Oriente, cannergio, Orto stop he says, ahhhhhhhhhh relief, the two elderly ladies tell me, you are lucky he answered you, lot of them don't, and we are even luckier in that when we get near that stop he tells us, he's looking out for us ! excellent , i tell him 1000 gracies and american thank u's,

heart is settling down now but we dont know where the hotel is, so we just start walking and come across three little girls sitting , i decide i am going to ask them, one of these precious little girls jumps up and has us follow her, she leads us almost the whole way, bless that sweet child, there are no words for how fatigued we are by the time we reach the hotel front desk, we are over-dressed, huffin, puffin, but i'm taking it all in and looking around thinking ohhhhhhhhhh i am going to like this place, i love the canal it's sitting on, i love the decor of the hotel, the smiling bellman takes us to our rooms and i immediately fell in love with the room, i told mom, don't touch anything let me take pics of it first, than we can mess it up with all our debri ! i'm hot and thirsty and hit the mini-bar first thing, and have a colddddddddd beer, we get sorted out, freshen up and we hit the hotel bar, and toast Venice,

we get directions from the hotel staff to the water bus stop for San Marco, along the way we realize we are starving and go to a restaurant nearby and sit outside on the lane with many shops, we meet three couples from chicago, and are amused by the sign "no pizza", i have it in my photo link, we ordered the tourist menu, and u know what ? it wasn't bad, 11 euro, i had lasagna, sole fish, salad and beer, we have more drinks and are really enjoying sitting here, watching the people and munching,

now to the flirty men and the whattttttttttttttttttttttt !!!!!!!!!!!!! as we are sitting here, some of these men walking by stop, keep looking, smiling, being flirty, completely harmless and sweet, so kind of as a joke, i "mouth" the words " WHATTTTTTTTTT??" to them with wide-eyes - - i think this sends a little confusion to their system because they can't figure out what to make of it? and they are really curious now, they are thinking "what did she say ? "what did you mean"?? of these men two were especially humorous, they would start to walk away, come back , leave come back, and kelly's mom is doing a running commentary on it with "ahhhh they are leaving, nopeeeeee coming back, ok leaving , nope coming back, and one of them did come back and all the way to our table, smiling, speaking fluent italian of course and i cannot understand one word of what he is saying, so not knowing what to say--- i say something goofy, i say "photo" show him my camera, i figure i'll take his pic, not knowing what else to do? so he takes my hand to get our photo, i extend my hand to shake and tell him thank you, and he's not having any of this handshaking so i get that left cheek, right cheek smooch, than the ever popular going off to war like smooch, leaning backwards , quick smooch right on the lips !!! this all takes place in three seconds, i'm stumbling back to the table and all the while, our table and the couples from chicago, are all cheering and clapping, and i'm thinking okay, no more "whats" to the men, kelly always good for sarcasm, says we are not even here four hours yet and its already starting with you and the men, she yells about this at home too, if we are out and people come up and talk to me, she yells why didn't they come up to me? whats wrong with me? i tell her Nothing is wrong with you, you are just too darn pretty and they are scared of you and i have a friendly face, i give out "no threat" vibes, and being an X - bartendar people somehow know they can talk to me,

so we finish our late lunch and head for San Marco, and ohhhhhhhhhhh the ride in, what a place, the buildings, the people, the boats, it is just overwhelming, in such a good good way, the miracle of it all, i have never seen anything like this in my life, it's like the beautiful photos you see but it's coming to life, living and breathing and full of energy, i am completely blown away, ahhhhhhhhh than you get to the beautiful San Marco square, and just when you think you couldn't be stunned anymore, you are stunned all over again, fresh and new --- with your jaw dropping and your eyes popping, feeling " can this be real"?

that square is beautiful, i love everything about it, every person, every pigeon, the bascilla, the music , the atmosphere, the crowds , no crowds ----- i like it all, its time for a celebration beer and we head to the americano bar there and just stand taking it all in, wowwwwwwwwwwwww, we wander around more listening to all the orchestra's playing and checking out some of the handsome musicians :) the mom's needed a restroom and kelly took them to find it, on her way, she meets a young policmen named Luka??? in the course of three minutes he tells her he loves her looks, his name and occupation and wants her to go to his place, she tries to explain she has to find her friend and is with the mom's and he is having none of that and decides to stick right with her, like glue :)

i find the mom's first and say where's kelly??? they said, she is with some young guy, and i'm thinking what????? i find the both of them and we have introductions and she is trying to whisper to me everything that happened and he wants her at his place, well now i have to use the restroom, so i go to the left of florians, to a neat looking place, almost at the end, i dash in to the bar and tell him "beer for toilette" ? he smiles says go up , and he lets me use the restroom without having a beer, i'm so grateful about this, i call kelly and the mom's inside and order drinks for all of us, kelly had a frozen belini that was fabulous , i wanted to come back here and have one and never did, kelly wont go out because she is trying to lose luka, i'm the lookout and finally pronounce him "gone" so we head outside to the tables and just sit quietly the rest of the time, soaking it all in, we left around 9ish and the ride back was PACKEDDDDDDDDDDD, mom's a little freaked because of the crowds, there's a lady with a big dog with a muzzle on it right on the boat, he's so beautiful i can't resist and when the crowd thins some i ask if i can pet him, i do and when we get off kelly tells me i'm nuts petting a big dog like that wearing a muzzle, we make it to the hotel, tired and happy, Day One is complete !

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
9,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Venice

I want to travel with you. You have soooooo much fun!

Thanks for writing.

TAB

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Venice

Lordy, Lordy, Lordy. This is hilarious. Somehow I just knew you'd be trouble. Can you change your TA name to "AmbassadorOfGoodWill"? As an American, I personally nominate Jeanette the face of America abroad.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Venice

Well someones enjoying Venice!!!! Glad to see you are having such a great time. Something tells me that, with your positive attitude you would have a great time wherever you go. Enjoyed your report and await the next installment.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Venice

Tell us more!!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
427 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Venice

I am leaving for Venice (first time) in a couple of weeks and this post made my day. Today is just awful at work (the screenwriters went on strike today so who knows when I will lose my job) and I laughed so hard when I read this, cheered me up right away.

I love the way you describe your trips. I feel like I'm right there with you.

Looking foward to hear more about your trip with the moms.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Venice

Tab let's go ! I told kelly already.........if she's not ready to go when i am, i'm going alone ! the way i see it---- i have not even scratched the surface !

I do think it's important for everyone to have a good attitude when travelling abroad, we are so lucky and so blessed to even be there ! one can't forget that it's a privilege !!! and funnnnn !!

MrJ, I'll take that job ! can I leave tomorrow? all i need is a little food and water and a roof over my head - i'll be the best darn goodwill ambassador there ever was, promise !!!! :)

tonight i will finish day 2, it took me a long long time doing Rome and Florence and the things we experienced... amazing and some crazyyyyyyyyyy stuff too ! ( still wouldn't change a thing )

here's the photolink, i've got about 60 more to upload, the bulk loader isn't working so i can only do about ten at a time,

s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc70/j3dnight/

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Venice

Day Two - i wake at 7:30 , get dressed and head to breakfast while they sleep, while there i write in my spiral notebook so i dont forget what happened yesterday, after this i take walks all the way to the left and right of the hotel, on these morning walks you can see photos i took of santa hanging on a house , laundry hanging (which i love) , plaues, signs near doors, just little things that strike you as so endearing, i come across a few Japanese artists sketching away with such deep concentration, sitting on tiny stools, what lovely things to see on morning walks,

so today i'm am all about riding the grand canal, ( and trying to get a seat outside ) that's work in itself, shewwwwwwwwwww, but we managed it , once seated, i felt like the puppy dog who's head is out the car window, only thing missing was the tongue hanging out of the side of my mouth , pure joy !!!! we are lucky in that it is nice and warm with lots of sunshine, i don't know how well i could handle venice in the cold, since i'm such a wimp with the chill factor but the mom's are loving it, kelly is too, and it's a time we just ride and ride and no one hardly says a thing, u just want to absorb it in every layer of your skin,

eventually we head back to san marco again which is good because i wanted to take daytime photos, today is an easy day, with just looking, listening, sitting and wandering, this continues till it's almost dark, we find a restaurant along the canal, get a table outside and have a great dinner, its getting dark but i got those nice pics of the sunset and of a cruise ship coming by, unfortunately i do not know the name of this restaurant, after dinner we are stuffed and sleepy, it's been a long day on the water and lots of walking so we decide to head back to cannaregio and i can't wait to soak in the bathtub with the bubbles and think about what i've seen , great end to an excellent day -

Upstate NY USA
Level Contributor
141 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Venice

way fun to read, hope you have more days to write about! Will be taking my family next July for a few days.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Venice

Day 3 -

in the morning, same as usual, i wake early, they sleep, i go to breakfast, and let me add that our hotel has a lovely breakfast beautifully displayed and you can go out to the tables on the terrace if you like, actually our tall tall windows are near this small courtyard and Kelly wants me to hoist her a plate to the room, nope i say, get your butt out of bed sleeping beauty, the coffee is delicious in the mornings, venice is delicious in the mornings !! what an atmosphere,

after everyone is up and dressed, we go walking all around Cannaregio , which is a lovely section and from what i understand where venetians live, i saw mom's and dad's walking the children with backpacks, little old ladies with carts headed to the market, lots of doggies out for their morning stroll, boats coming by with construction equipment, boards, people dressed for work, and they are doing this, living on the water, what a place !!!

we walk and walk , looking at the windows and taking in cannaregio which i think is fantastic !! its quiet compared to san marco, ( and don't get me wrong , i loveeeeeeee san marco) and i like this location so i get the best of both worlds, we have lunch at a pizza spot, yummmy pizza ! kelly ordered a "greek" salad too, poor guy gave her two wrong salads, he thought she said "green" salad, finally she took the menu and pointed to what she ordered and he was like ohhhhhhhhhh!! bless his heart , he tried ! she got her greek salad in the end, (which was also yummy ! ) now here i am having a good time watching the "purse guys" they get their sheet spread out so nice and organized, than go about arranging those purses, there is a building they are in front of with big windows, purseman has his things all out and arranged and window cleaner employee comes out, now i am really interested to see how this is going to turn out, i'm watching them have exchanges, purseman scoots his stuff away from the window some, windowman says he needs more room, purseman scoots a bit more and if u look in the photos, u will see the purseman scooting his things, the windowman and the clash of wills ! too cute !! they work out an arrangement they both can live with ( needed space ) which lasted all of ten minutes because the police were coming and purseman had to scoop up all his things and walked off briskly, 20 minutes later , he was back again and the arranging continues !! getting that sheet just so.......those purses arranged correctly -- fascinating stuff i say !!!

SO........... today is going to be our gondola ride !!! and one feels very picky when you are going to get your prized once in a lifetime ride, i'm looking at the drivers, scrutinizing them, i want one with personality !! and i want that gondola looking nice too, so after the survey, we decide on the fellow with long blonde hair which is something i never imagined our gondola driver would look like because in my head.......... well he had short dark hair and glowing blue eyes, but there is something about this scruffy long haired blonde one we liked so we get on and MY MOMMMMMMM IS A WIMP !!! the gondola wimp !! she's scared, she's scared getting down in the boat , she's scared if it rocks, holding on to the sides with a deathgrip, saying ohhhhhhh, ahhhhhhh, ohhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhh,

the Mom's are in the deluxe romantic chairs, Kelly and I got the stools, with a pillow, no matter--- it is lovely, we go thru quiet canals, listening to the sounds coming from the homes, listening to silence and i am enchanted with the reflections of Venice on the water, incredibly beautiful, for those who have not seen it, wait till you do, art if reflected on the water !

eventually we make our way out to the large canal and some sort of race is going on -- there are many boats and each boat's color matches their shirts, there are purple ones, green ones , yellow ones, too cool !! bunches of them !! i have pics of this in the photolink, and if anyone knows what the details are about this race i would love to know, it looked very exciting !! judges were chasing after them on their boats and wow what a find on the gondola ride !!!

as u have read before, do this gondola ride, at least once in your life ! i'm going to do it many times, God willing, ( and provided i have enough cash :) ) we paid 80 euro for about 45 minutes, the guy was neat , he explained buildings for us, he laughed and was personable, hummed and sang so u know we were in our glory, got pics of him too :) we finish the ride and get back to our stop and I decide today we go to Lido !! blue sky and sunny and, i've heard and read so much about it here, especially from MrJ here on the venice forum, so I didn't want to miss it, plus I wanted to eat at the restaurant MrJ recommended where he & Mrs.J had dinner during their honeymoon so i tell the crew we're off to Lido today !

will pick up from here tomorrow !

nitenite

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,476 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Venice

Thank you for the photos, fabulous, where did the morning go, only half way through, part 2 tomorrow,