We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planning for April or May?

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Trip planning for April or May?

I am in the early stages of planning a 9 day trip to Italy, including Rome, Florence, and Venice. I don't want to go too close to the Summer season because I'd like to avoid the major crowds (although there will still be crowds in Spring, I know) and I want to avoid high season rates.

Are there any dates I should avoid? If I choose April, it seems that the weather is generally nice but can be cooler and rainy. I've also heard that I should avoid going anytime around the May 1st holiday.

Any TA advice? Thanks! I'm getting so much information from all of you!

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,564 reviews
from US$56.80*
Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$175.60*
US$195.80
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,541 reviews
from US$75.80*
US$92.20
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
290 reviews
from US$82.10*
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planning for April or May?

Also avoid April 25, Liberation Day. It's a Friday in 2008 and every Italian and his uncle are likely to make a long weekend of it. Bear in mind that a fair percentage of tourists in Rome, Florence and Venice are Italians.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,793 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planning for April or May?

April is an ideal time to go, May 1st, does not affect too much, transport, shops open as usual,

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip planning for April or May?

>>May 1st, does not affect too much<<

Maybe not in Venice, but it surely does everywhere else!

Most large museums in Italy are closed (in addition to their weekly closing day) on three days of the year: January 1, May 1 and December 25.

Udine, Italy
Level Contributor
396 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip planning for April or May?

Should I be planning to do what is in your intention, I'd pick the second week of may. Climate is a little warmer (still not hot), less rain, longer days, no italian hollidays. Yeah, I'd definitely pick a 9 days time window from may 5th to let's say may 20th. That is in my opinion a great time to travel.

I also recommend you to read a post I've made some days ago about a possible itinerary for your stay. Here the link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k15529…

I agree Venice and Rome are a must, being both probably unique in the world; Florence is also very beautiful, but there are other places off the beaten path, you might also want to consider.

I do take my friends from abroad (mostly north american folks) to the places listed on that post when they come here for a week or two and they always are happy of seeing cool places other people aren't even aware of.

Hope this helps.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip planning for April or May?

Jody, I was in Rome, Florence and Venice from April 29-May9 this year. I was in Rome on May 1. All the museums were open and only cost 1 Euro entrance. There was also a huge concert televised from mid-afternoon until 11:00pm. The weather was very nice that time of year although it rained quite a bit when I was in Florence but since I was indoors a lot in museums it never bothered me.

So I would recommend early May for your trip.

6. Re: Trip planning for April or May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 09:26