We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Marco Polo airport to Venice via fast ferry

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
From Marco Polo airport to Venice via fast ferry

We're staying at La Calcina near the Zattere stop from late January. I see that one of the fast ferries stops there. We'd like to use this method of getting to our hotel in the early afternoon from the airport as it's our first time in Venice (and don't want to spend a lot on the water taxi) but wondered if being prone to seasickness this might not be such a great idea. What is the trip like in winter? Thanks.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,415 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice via fast ferry

The only ferry going from Marco Polo to the Zattere is one of the Alilaguna lines. I would hardly call it fast as it takes over an hour for the journey. See www.alilaguna.it for details of the line and timetables and fares. The fare is 15 euros per person, I think.

The lagoon is never very wild but there will be some moement ion the Alilaguna ferry, whether this will affect you depends on how prone to seasickness you happen to be.

The only truly fast way is by private water taxi which will take 20/25 minutes but the cost is much higher - around 100 euros per launch but you can take several passengers and all your luggage in the launch for that sum

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice via fast ferry

So Robert, would you suggest that over taking a bus? We are staying near the train station, so we thought we'd just save some money and do that. Do you know how long that takes? And can you do that with luggage? Thanks!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
714 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice via fast ferry

I stayed at La Calcina in late December and took the Alilaguna to the airport on Dec 23 for 12 Euros.

It took a little over an hour and stopped several places before it stopped in Lido and then Murano. It is not fast, (but the time does seem to pass fast). It's a short walk to the dock from the airport. The day I took it was very foggy and a bit choppy but the boat did not waver much - don't think you'll have a problem.

I would take it over the bus because you only take one mode of transportation. You get off the boat, and turn to the right and a few yards you are right at La Calcina.

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice via fast ferry

Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,843 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice via fast ferry

texaggie

If you are staying near the Railway Staion a Bus is really the best way to get to Venice, the ATVO line non- stop cost €3

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice via fast ferry

Thanks all for your comments. LadyGBD, yes, Alilaguna stopping just down the 'road' from the hotel did look an attractive option!

7. Re: From Marco Polo airport to Venice via fast ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 15:19