We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Not for the Birds

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Venice Not for the Birds

A headline from Rick Steve's website:

Venice Is Not For the Birds

January 10 — Venice's city council has voted to ban birdseed vendors from St. Mark's Square, where they have historically sold pigeon food to tourists. It's already against the law to feed pigeons elsewhere in the city. The pigeons (and their poop) are blamed for destroying historical monuments and buildings, putting public health at risk, and general messiness.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,815 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice Not for the Birds

This something I read about quite a while back,not a bad thing in my opinion,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice Not for the Birds

I will believe the pigeons have gone when I cannot see them, until then I am not holding my breath.

Chichester
Level Contributor
295 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice Not for the Birds

Good hopefully some will have moved out when we get there - I hate pigeons!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,815 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice Not for the Birds

No food, no birds,

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice Not for the Birds

Call me old fashioned and out of date, but I think it's a pity. Last year it was plain that people were really enjoying themselves with the pigeons, especially children. They did the same, though, at Trafalgar Square, London, for the same reason.

Perhaps they might consider banning mobile phones in St Marks next- one went off when I was there, and no one expressed any concern at all.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice Not for the Birds

Frankly, I find people loudly yapping non stop into their mobile phones far more annoying than pigeon poo.

prince william co...
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice Not for the Birds

But the issue here is that the pigeon waste is contributing to the gradual grumbling of the buildings in Venice.

prince william co...
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice Not for the Birds

Sorry I mean "crumbling", not "grumbling".

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice Not for the Birds

Well, I witnessed the pigeon frenzy in May and watched frightened tourists with birds on their arm after purchasing 1 Euro's worth of birdseed. I could not get around the crowd easily. Consequently, what I thought was San Marco Square was not the square at all but the other square beyond it.

In December, I was delighted to finally see the Piazza in its full glory minus pigeons due to lack of tourists, even though I did see the bird seed vendors.

Long winded comment to say that I think this is a good thing - not encourageing the birds to be fed by humans.

Locarno
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice Not for the Birds

With the ban to birdseed vendors there still will be pigeons in Venice, but less then now.

The number of pigeons have been a problem since long time (you can imagine with all the tourists feed them how many they can be).

By now, the problem has been with the vendors because they don't want to lose their very very good job.