We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
home
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

Please help me choose! We've never been to Venice, but you all helped me decide to stay in the Dorsorduro. Now these are the choices I have: Locanda San Barnaba, Classic double room @ E170 or La Calcina double room no view at E159. What is your advice?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

My advice is to not worry about the view as you will be outside and see gorgeous Venice yourself BUT do check what floor La Calcina is offering you as although there is a porter to help there is no elevator and walking up and down 4 or 5 flights of stairs might be annoying.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,408 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

I have no personal experience of Locanda San Barnaba but it is conveniently located for the Ca'Rezzonico vaporetto landing stage to take you up and down the Grand Canal.

I nolonger consider the advantages of a canal view bedroom are worth the fact there is always a premium to pay. I prefer to put the money to more good food and wine!

La Calcina is well located, very close to the Zattere vaporetto landing stage and so easy to reach on the Alilaguna ferry from Marco Polo airport. See www.alilaguna.it For that reason alone I would prefer La Calcina which has an excellent reputation that I can vouch for.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,830 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

I would go for San Barnaba, a lovely location, near to things but none the less peaceful, lovely reviews,

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
714 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

I've stayed at La Calcina twice last year. I had a single room with no view - actually I could look out to see a bit of a side canal. The plus about La Calcina is that they have a roof top terrace you can reserve to enjoy by yourself (for free). It over looks the Guidecca Canal. You do have to hike up stairs, but as others say, you are helped by porters.

I like the Dorsoduro area - Alilaguna and Vaporetto stop close by, and just a short walk you find the Accadamia museum, bridge and vaporetto stop.

home
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

thanks, riffsmom, Robert-J, sophie 8, and LadyGBD for your help--although I guess you disagree on which would be my best choice. Here's a question--if you can book the rooftop terrace for your private use at La Calcina, does that mean it's likely that I wouldn't be able to use it--a big reason I might have chosen La Calcina? (Although, Robert-J, I realize you're probably right that I shouldn't worry about the view--that I won't be in the hotel that much when I have all of Venice to see.)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
95,463 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

I've stayed at Locanda San Barnaba. It’s a gem!

It’s so conveniently located right off the Ca'Rezzonico vaporetto landing stage (half a block up from the Grand Canal). It has a canal along its side, a roof terrace, a garden area and terrace (a real bonus in Venice!), spacious common areas, a charming breakfast room, friendly staff, proximity to restaurants, and an excellent breakfast! Some rooms have private terraces over the canal with side views down to the Grand Canal. Some rooms also have beautiful frescoed ceilings.

Check the photos!

http://www.romanticasrl.191.it/

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187870-d239…

The Pensione La Calcina is quite romantic overlooking the Giudecca Canal and it’s in just about every guide and justifiably deserves its accolades.

Pensione La Calcina:

http://www.lacalcina.com/

frommers.com/destinations/venice/H47856.html

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d235872…

BUT, you’ll be in Venice, so why not enjoy the opportunity to stay at a former palazzo with Murano chandeliers, frescoed ceilings, a delightful garden-terrace along a peaceful little canal, and stunning views from the little roof terrace?

Vagabonda

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

I agree with Vagabonda - these are both good places to stay, well run, charming and well located. So you can't go wrong, but given the choice, and as it's your first visit, I think I'd go for the Locanda S Barnaba, as it is so close to the Grand Canal.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

We have just come back from Venice and the Carneval having stayed at La Calcina - in a room with no view (Room 28) which was fantastic and had two windows - one overlooking the wall of the pensione next door but wait for it the other with a great side view over the main canal, little bridge,side canal and the big church on the opposite side. We went for the cheap option and couldn't be more delighted. Perhaps you can ask for a specific room? Breakfast is also excellent and so is the location. Nice & Quiet at night as well which is a consideration as we came back exhausted from partying in St Mark's square!

9. Re: La Calcina no view or Locanda San Barnaba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 03:19