We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,147 posts
312 reviews
Save Topic
2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

So...we may have the chance to go to Florence on business in June. After that, my spouse wants to go to Venice. I am inclined to make the trip simpler and stay in Tuscany, maybe at someplace like Locanda Dell'Amorosa.

We have both been to Venice, separately, over 30 years ago.

Opinions?

brooklyn
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

Venice without a question. Even though most of the city will be as you saw it 30 years ago thats the reason. How many times after this will you be able to spend time in one of the most fantastic places in this world. Enjoy your trip.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,065 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

Depends on your likes and dislikes. I love Venice. There is nothing like it. BUT, our favorite part of Italy is the Tuscan and Umbrian countryside. Have been to Locanda Dell' Amorosa and it positions you near several awesome sights in either region. The Italian countryside offers beautiful scenery, delicious foods, hilltowns of great interest and walled towns. A treat after the noise, people and hectic lifestyle of Florence. This, to me, is the real Italy!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,243 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

As a contrast to Florence the Tuscan country side is so different, under Three hours to Venice by Train June would still nice there not quite so hot and humid as later in the season, would be nice to share Venice,

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

What a difficult question - Tuscany or Venice - what a decision to take.

Can`t you squeeze in another couple of days and see them both ?

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

Oh Venice no question. You are from Virginia so you can go see hills and farms any time...You can only see Venice once! It is unique and the gem of Italy.

Chicagoland
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

If I had to choose one, I'd go with Tuscany. While I loved Venice when we went there for our honeymoon in November, it's not a place I have any desire to return to. On the other hand, our one day tour of Tuscany made me hungry for a much longer trip. There's something magical about the Tuscan hills that Venice does not offer IMHO. Plus we found Venice to be extremely expensive, which is another thing to think about if budget is a big consideration.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

We are all allwoed to give you our opinions then you can select what you really want to do. I would never go to Tudcany again...I was bored out of my mind.

depends if you like hills and trees or cities.....

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

Venice is in a class of its own, always difficult to compare apples to apples versus another Italian destination. I would think 2 days there would only open my apetite and leave me hungry for more.

In your stead, I would stay in Florence itself - the whole city is an open air museum.

Pisa, Sienna, Bologna, Modena, Ferrara, Perugia, Orvieto, Assisi are all very much within your grasp since you will start from Florence. All incredibly rich and dense, all worth spending 2 days in (OK, maybe except for Modena and Orvieto which could each fit into 1 day).

On the other hand, if you are a hills and trees person (which I for one would never presume to regard as a capital crime :-D) then the Tuscan landscape does indeed offer some of the best of breed samples. Plus some charming valleys, creeks and field farmhouses.

The choice is yours and it's a tough one!

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

That is a very difficult choice but I would probably tilt the scale toward Venice. How long will you be in Florence? You could possibly do a day trip into the countryside to satisfy yourself and then spend the extra 2 days in Venice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14,147 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days Venice or see Tuscany after Florence?

Thanks to all. It turns out my spouse has NOT been to Venice (I though he had). So we will go there.