We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the airport at 4am

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
18 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to the airport at 4am

Booked to be in Venice from Thurs to Sunday and we are on a 6.25am flight out on Sunday. We are staying on the Lido (at Lido ?) and are worried about how we are going to get to the airport.

I gather one can get a water taxi, but I have seen mention of €100 and surcharges for Sundays (sure to be surcharge for 4am too). Can one get vaporetti (sp?) at that time. And if it is dark and raining as forecasted - are they covered. I have visions of small basic motor boats.

Anyone had this problem before and can tell us what would be best ?

California
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the airport at 4am

We have a couple of days in Venice and then an early flight as well.

On our last night, we are moving from our Venice hotel to the Marriott Courtyard at the airport.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
18 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the airport at 4am

Thanks. Might be the best option.

Another question - is it safe taking the public transport boat at 4.15 in the morning ?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to the airport at 4am

I too would like to know since my parents have an early flight out of Marco Polo on a Sunday.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to the airport at 4am

Will the airport even be open that early in the morning or will the check-in counters be open? We experienced some difficulties due to an early flight last year at FCO.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,195 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to the airport at 4am

Well, I had an early flight last year but it was 7:30 not 6:30. The easiest ,but most expensive way is to order a water taxi. I splurged on that but I won't do it again.This time I planned to be at a hotel closer to the Piazzale Roma where you get the land bus to the airport for the day or 2 before the fight. I don't think you have to be at the airport much before 5AM for that 6:30 flght as I dont think anyone will be there. They have 1 check in line for each flight so all the people on your plane will be on the same line. I was there at 6 for a 7:30 flight and it was fine.

Dublin
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to the airport at 4am

To be honest, I know it's expensive but for the peace of mind I'd book the taxi. Either way getting to the airport at that hour is going to involve a cab and be a hassle. You could only dig yourself a bigger hole trying to find a short cut/cheaper way etc. It almost happened to me but at the last minute I paid the taxi fare and forgot about the cost days later, you will to.

Book one now online, shop around for the best price and then book it. That way it's done before you even set foot in Venice, no hassle, no worries and you can relax. And if it is 100 euro, you're worth it!

Have a great time.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
18 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to the airport at 4am

Thank you all for your advice. I looked up taxi fares on the internet and the prices varied between €100 with no mention of possible surcharges for out of hours and €162 where I was able to put in the dreaded 4am pick up time.

So I have chickened out and also booked at the Marriot hotel at the airport, with free airport shuttle and wake up call for €130.

I must say I was also influenced by the weather report (storms) and the article in the 'what you should know before you go' section that described what it was like to take a taxi in stormy weather.

And as suggested - spoiling ourselves - we are worth it !

Again thanks. Discovering the forum and getting all sorts of tips has been wonderful.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to the airport at 4am

riffsmom has given you good advice. No one is going to be at the check in desk at 4 AM. About 5 AM will be the earliest the desk will open.

California
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to the airport at 4am

Roles,

When you return please post a "review" of the Courtyard and how thing went getting to the airport for your early flight.

thanks

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,380 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to the airport at 4am

Note that Alilaguna (a private waterbus service) has a departure from the Lido to the airport at 3.56 AM (fare: 12 euro per person - direct service), arriving at 4.59 -- perfectly adequate for a 6.25 flight -- www.alilaguna.it/…

No need to splurge on a watertaxi.

Otherwise, cheaper public ACTV waterbuses run around the clock and have a 3.46 departure to Piazzale Roma -- www.actv.it/english/navigazione.php… -- form where you can proceed to the airport by ACTV bus or ATVO coach.