We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large Wine Glasses

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
florida
1 post
Save Topic
Large Wine Glasses

On the travel channel there was a show with Samantha Brown and she went to a store or restrauant that served the wine in very large glasses. Does anyone know the name of this store...

Thanks

E.J.

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large Wine Glasses

Dobbie,

I watched the Venice episode well over a year ago and I can't really remember the exact details. I know she ate at Al Gatto Nero on Burano but I don't think that would be it. I also think she ate at Restaurante Cantina Canaletto which is a wine oriented restaurant. It may have been there.

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large Wine Glasses

Oooh, I just found the details of her Venice episode (see here...

travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/…

I got two of the restaurants correct. However, getting back to your question it definitely could be the third as well...Cantinone già Schiave.

Why the curiousity (just out of curiousity)?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Large Wine Glasses

Cantinone già Schiave doesn't go in for very large wine glasses. It sounds more like something Cantina Canaletto near San Marco would do.

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large Wine Glasses

How big was this wine glass (sorry for the fascination)? Are we talking about a large Pinot/Burgandy glass or some unGodly monstrosity?

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Large Wine Glasses

MrJCG1...Speaking of large wine glasses,you jogged my memory. Years ago in downtown San Fransico We went to a resturant called Rosebuds. They had the largest wine glasses I have ever seen,humongous. I liked the wine as we went there again the next evening.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large Wine Glasses

JCG1, thanks for that great link!

Hey, just outta interest do you have to book and pay to see the glass-blowers in Murano?

Or do you just walk in and they are doing it in the store where they sell the glass?

I hate group tours but if it's the only way to see it then how do I book and how much does it cost?

Thanks everyone :o)

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Large Wine Glasses

There ain't nothing wrong with the occassional big arse wine glass. LOL.

Aussie,

To my recollection, I do not recall there being a fee associated with watching the wine blowing (unless you count the bit of selling pressure applied afterwards).

By the way, anyone interested in wine's should check out Gary V's daily wine blogs. He's a great down to earth and entertaining guy. Check out his videos (hundreds of them) here...simply click on an episode number...

http://tv.winelibrary.com/spreadsheet/

Georgetown
Level Contributor
411 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Large Wine Glasses

Aussie, we took a vaporetto over to Murano and watched the glassmakers. When we got off the vaporetto we turned left onto a fondamenta. (Do not follow the fondamenta that goes along the main canal). After a short distance we came upon a small workshop with 2 men working the glass and asked if we could watch- they had a bowl for collecting money and I think it cost a few euros to watch. No pressure to buy and they put on quite a show. You may want to go early in the day though because I seem to remember them saying that they only worked till noon- maybe because of the heat. I am not sure if all of the glass workers follow this schedule.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Large Wine Glasses

Hey JCG,

Where exactly are the 'wine-blowers' you refer to in your post? ;o)

I think you've gone and got all excited over those big glasses that you can't get the wine & glass outta ya head!!!

Big arse wine glasses are great as long as they fill those big arse wine glasses LOL!!!

I hate it when I get a glass of wine and find the tide has gone out ;o) !

Thanks again Jerry, you are very funny :oD

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Large Wine Glasses

Hmmmm, wine-blowing - now that sounds more interesting than glass-blowing!!!