We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Islands

Woodley, Berkshire...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Islands

My husband and I are in Venice at the end of the month to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. We hope to spend a day visiting the islands. Should we try to do Burano, Murano and Torcello all in one day? Hopefully we can get to all of them by vaporetto.

If not then what should we definitely do whilst exploring and what should we give a miss? A friend of ours has raved about Cipriani's on Torcello but wondered if that was a bit far for an evening meal (we are staying in the San Marco area). Should we aim to eat lunch there?

Also pondering about visitng the cemetary island - i have read on previous posts that it is quite fascinating!

Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,546 Reviews
from US$75.10*
Dolomite Mountains and Cortina 1-Day...
774 Reviews
from US$194.00*
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,575 Reviews
from US$56.30*
Special Offer
Venice Skip-the-Line: Doges Palace...
699 Reviews
from US$142.70*
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,730 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Islands

I was easily able to see Torcello, Burano and Murano in one day and was back at my hotel by about 3PM. i took a 10aM vaporetto to start out.IF I had had a bit more energy I would have done the glass museum on Murano as well.

Sadly I went on a Tuesday when the Cipriani's on Torcello was closed. I think they have a private launch to take you there at night. OR is that the other Cips that I mix up with it??

Level Contributor
1,148 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Islands

We did Murano and Burano but missed the third island. I wished I had spent a little more time at Burano, since I now have been to Murano 2x and didn't need to spend as much time there.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,889 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Islands

How long the three islands Murano, Burano and Torcello takes depends very much on your interests. Murano is easily visited on a short journey across the channel by a 41 or 42 water bus. If youi want to visit the Glass Museum in Palazzo giustinina get off at the Museo landing stage and walk about 200 yards to your right along the canal. About another 150 yards further is the lovely Veneto-Byzantine church of Santi Maria e Donato with a noteworthy mosaic floor laid down in 1140 AD. A short walk across the Ponte Longo will bringb you t the church of San Pietro Martire whcih has good paintings by Giovanni Bellini and Veronses. Opposite the church in Campo San Stefano is an excellent place for lunch - Busa alla Torre.

To reach Burano you need to take the Linea Nord ferry from Fondamenta Nove. It calls at the Faro landin stage on Murano so can be boarded there if you wish. Burano has a small Lace Museum and a fine painting by Tiepolo, though the last time I was there it was on display in the Accdemia after a lengthy restoration. Almost all the lace on sale in the many shops is imported machine made lace and not the orginal hand-made Burano lace. From time to time a few pieces of true Burano lace may be on sale at the Lace Museum at a very substantial price.

There are severalgood fish restaurants on burano, idela for a leisurley lunch - Da Roman, Il Pescatore-Da Paolo in the main square and Al gatto Nero on Fondamenta della Giudecca are all good.

To reach torcello you need to take the Linea T ferry whichruns every half hour from the landing stage on burano across the channel to nearby Torcello. You have quite a walk along a small canal to reach both the Locand Cipriani, very good but exceedingly expensive, and the main attractions of Torcello - two fine churches. The larger one -Santa mrai assunta, is the original cathedral of the lagoon, first built in AD638 and with superb mosaics dating from the 7/8th centuries through to the 13/14th centuries. Next door is the round church of Santa fosca, built in the Greek style during the 11th century.. There is a small Museo dell'Estuario with a collection olf sculptures and archaeological finds.

The cemetery on San Michele can be visited on your way to or from Murano on a 41 or 42 water bus. The Linea Nord ferry does not call there.

Level Contributor
1,148 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Islands

one note about the cemetery, if you stop off there for a quick visit, I am not sure when the mosquitos come out but there were plenty of them when we were there in Sept. It is interesting but for me to not spend alot of time there.

Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Islands

It is easily possible to do all three islands in a day, but don't spend hours and hours wandering through glass shops on Murano.

Also keep in mind that transit times are quite significant...the trip from Murano to Burano probably takes 30 minutes (and feels longer). We got to Burano, then waited another ten minutes for the boat to Torcello, another boat ride, etc. That is, when you do this, be aware that you're going to spend a fair amount of time on boats and waiting for boats.

Personally, I would skip the glass museum, but don't miss the churches on Murano.

Level Contributor
761 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Islands

Robert, Do you know if there are any restaurants on Burano for lunch that would be good for people who do not eat fish? Thank you!!!

7. Re: The Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 20:17