We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
381 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Will be in Venice in mid August. Do I need to worry about mosquitoes in the evening?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

Yes Caphill, take the strong stuff, esp. if you plan to linger on romantic bridges at sunset - festering mozzie bites the next day aren't so romantic!

I took garlic capsules for a couple of weeks before, then used a repellent and also took antihistamines there, but even then one still got through.

I know someone who was so badly bitten she saw a doctor - though she hadn't taken any of the above precautions.

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Same for a mid November trip? Or is this a summer thing?

British Columbia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

We were there last October and the mozzies were still very bad.

Sydney, Aust
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

We have just come back and found the mosquito bites to be more severe (ie bigger and lasted a lot longer) in Venice than we were used to. Keep your window closed at night, or buy a battery/mains powered repellant device.

UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi - I went to Venice in early June. Foolishly, because I had never been bothered by the things in the past, I didn't take adequate precautions. Result ? Massive bites that needed extensive medical treatment and are only just starting to resolve. BUT - don't let my experience put you off. Take appropriate precautions and enjoy the splendour of Venice.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

I am a mosquito phobe too - and they love me. This summer I bought something that acts like a suction pump and draws out the fluid poison that the mosquitos inject into you . It also works for scorpions, fish and snakes. I don't know if the name of the product will be allowed to be printed. It's used by the French army and Medecins sans frontieres too.

You can buy it at the chemist . It needs to be used as soon as possible to be most effective. It worked marvellously on me. It comes in a little green box and in the UK the name begins with an alternative name for a viper....

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

The product I just mentioned is called 'Aspivenin'.

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
381 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

Thank you all for the info. I'll bring "OFF" and "AfterBite" to soothe the bites.

Winston Salem North...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes

We've found that those in our family who usually attract mosquitoes attract them with a vengeance in Venice, and the bites are more severe. Those who aren't usually bothered still aren't bothered.

Two new products you might want to try--two of us are sleeping in mosquito repellent shirts. It sounds awful, but it's not--you can't tell at all that there's any repellent in them. We ordered ours from Orvis.

Also, we are using a new mosquite repellent product with picaridin in it. It's effective but it doesn't stink.

Initially I didn't want to use chemical repellent on my children, and tried cintronella based repellent instead. That was a mistake; it smelled terrible and didn't work, and my youngest woke up with about 40 bites one morning.

You do need the stuff!

Italy/Alaska
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes

As an Alaskan living in Italy presently....I have had plenty of mosquito experience in both places! The difference is that in Alaska-they are as big as birds and warn you of their arrival-at least you have a fighting chance...here, the little vampires just attack without warning and make TERRIBLE bites-swelling.

I would love to know the product the last writer was talking about-the one that doesn't smell.

We put mosquito screens on all of our windows here and use the plug in repellant...but the little devils are quite resilient!