We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in may

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chorley
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
weather in may

Hi, am preparing to travel to Venice next Wednesday and everytime I check out the weather forecast it seems to be pouring down. Although the temperatures are in late 60s early 70s, it seems to have been raining every day for the past fortnight! I thought the rainy season ended around March so was hoping for some sun.

Can anyone advise on whether to expect occasional light showers, or should I pack wellies and brollies?

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in may

Other than the multitude of weather channels which you can access no one can give you forecasts with any precision.This year in particular weather in the Mediterranean area has been very unstable and unpredictable.

I'd suggest that you shold be prepared for occasional rain but temperatures should be comfortable. No guarantees.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in may

This time of a year normally is ideal, so I would expect it to be alright always be prepared for the odd shower, but it should not be cold,

Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in may

Not a good outlook..http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/ITXX0085?from=search_10day

Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in may

Forecast is starting to look better weather.com/outlook/…

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in may

I live about 40 kilometeri from Venice, and the weather has been horrid! And, it has been cold! Usually this time of year we don't need blankets on the bed any longer, but I still haven't been able to put anything away. And the forecast doesn't hold much promise for change anytime soon. Maybe a break for a few hours, but rain, rain, rain otherwise.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in may

I wouldn't give too much importance to the last post - the weather in the region seems to be very localised. Yes, there was a lot of rain last weekend and at the beginning of the week, but since Wednesday it has been blue skies and sunshine. Also I was in Venice two weeks ago and the weather was glorious.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in may

Weather websites aside, isn't it always better to go right to the source? Check out the web cams http://www.veniceword.com/webcam.html and see for yourself.

manchester
Level Contributor
405 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather in may

Just back from venice today- 3 days some rain- one very heavy and thundery. 3 days glorious weather but changable quickly. Need to take a waterproof or brolly out with you- we were never cold.

Paducah, Kentucky
Level Contributor
126 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather in may

We just returned from Italy 2 days ago having traveled from Rome to Tuscany to Venice over the last 2 weeks.Out of 14 days we only had 4 days of sun.The weather was terrible and I had chosen May as I expected the weather to be good,of course.We had raincoats and umbrellas and the rain did not really keep us from doing anything we wanted to do,unless it was sitting inside on the vaporettos!It was kind of interesting last Monday to see everyone wading thru San Marco up to their knees in water.I still adore Venice and can't wait to return again but I hope next time the weather is not so rainy!!But of course it would still be OK as I would be in Italy!!!!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,469 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather in may

Hi, from your local Chorley Venice freak!

if you look on www.bbc.co/weather and type in Venice you will get a 5 day forecast for Venice but in additon if you click o0n the Annual Average button you will get average weather data for every month.

You will see there is no really rainy season, November, by a narrow margin is the wettest month.

The end of May and early June I find is usually an excellent time to visit Venice. The weather is usually dry by then and temperatures warm enough to make an evening dining outdoors canalside a pleasurable experience. I hope that it holds true for you if you are departing on 28 May. Sadly I cannot get away until next September this year.