We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My (very late) day trip reports!

England
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
My (very late) day trip reports!

Hi,

We managed two short day trips into Venice from our base in Peschiera, so I thought I'd do a short report.

For our first visit, we caught the train from Peschiera, (nabbing the last free car parking space at the station!) It cost 64 euros return for two adults and two kids which was some kind of family saver.

The trip was really easy and took just under two hours each way. When we arrived in Venice it was pouring with rain so we made a dash for the water bus and went straight to St Mark's Square. The rain cleared en route and we had a fantastic journey - venice was even more amazing than I'd imagined and the kids loved going on the water.

On arrival at St Mark's we walked around the shops just window shopping, (couldn't afford to go in the likes of Chanel sadly)before going for lunch in a cafe/restaurant place nearby. We thought about going into Florian's but decided it was too posh/too expensive and not really the place to pop in with kids!

We visited San Moise church and then retraced our steps to St Mark's Square, before going into St Mark's itself which I thought was beautiful. We paid to see the Church treasures which are absolutely beautiful and I also went up close to the golden altar screen, (another two euros).

Afterwards we went to the Palazzo Ducale which we all found really interesting. The rooms and exhibits have lots of great information helpfully translated into English which added to our enjoyment. I particularly enjoyed going over the Bridge of Sighs. Before we knew it, we'd spent two hours in there and it was almost time to head back to the train station!

The sun had come out by this time, so we spent our last few minutes in a cafe overlooking the canal - incredibly expensive for a couple of drinks, but,(almost)worth it for the views!

We were back at the campsite by 8pm - exhausted but it had been worth it!

Our second visit was on our last day in Italy. We dropped off the hire car at the airport and our luggage and headed for the water bus. Unfortunately we had a long wait as we'd just missed one and we couldn't quite bring ourselves to pay 90 euros for a water taxi.

When the bus finally arrived we headed as far as the Rialto. We really enjoyed wandering around the streets and I bought some Murano glass earrings and a few other knick-knacks in some of the little shops nearby.

We had lunch at a place called Il Grande Canale by the Rialto Bridge - we ate outside and really enjoyed watching the canal as the gondalas, buses and other boats went past. The kids particularly loved the Post boat complete with postmen and parcels - it really made us realise that everything goes along the canals as a matter of course! The food was the best we had during our whole time in Italy - I had pasta with mushrooms, (can't remember its proper name!) There was also a pizza menu - the kids had pizzas and they were great too. Especially considering where we were, (great location), it was very reasonable - under ten euros each, (excluding drinks).

We realised at this point that the water bus back to the airport was long gone, so we bit the bullet and paid for a water taxi. Oh my goodness - this was the absolute highlight of my kids' whole trip. Bear in mind that it had taken nearly an hour for the water bus to sedately travel from the airport to the Rialto and when I say our taxi ride back to the airport took 13 minutes, you'll get an idea just how hair-raising it was!

The kids found it hilarious whilst I just clung on for dear life as our taxi driver cut up boats, buses and anything in our path before delivering us exhilarated and a little dizzy to the airport stop.

After picking up our luggage, we were ready to head off to Departures for our Easyjet flight home. Of course, had we realised just how quick the taxi was going to be, we could have left Venice later! As it was, we were a little too early, (for once!)

I am so glad that we managed to visit Venice twice even though we were only in Italy for a week. To anyone thinking of going in for the day like we did before a flight, I do recommend doing so, but leave enough time to get there and back and be prepared for it to be quite expensive even on the water bus. I really recommend going by train too and thanks to those on this forum who gave me the information I needed regarding trains from Peschiera.

I loved Venice and I'm sure we'll be back at some point soon - in the meantime I'm glad we made the effort to visit as part of our trip to Lake Garda, etc.

:)

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
30,698 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Hotel San Moise
Hotel San Moise
693 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,356 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Peschiera
Peschiera
214 Reviews
Peschiera del Garda, Italy
Cantina Arnaldi
££ - £££, Italian, Bar, Mediterranean
Il Mercante
££ - £££, Italian, Gastropub
niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: My (very late) day trip reports!

Thanks for your trip report. It sounds like you had a good time in spite of the weather.Glad the kids enjoyed the water taxi while you white knuckled it LOL. Your train fare for the whole family sounded like a real bargain.

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My (very late) day trip reports!

The water taxi was an expense that will have your kids talking about for years. And the story will go on to their kids. What a great memory for your family.

Thanks for a much needed smile today!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,682 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My (very late) day trip reports!

And very nice too, you certainly packed a lot in , in a short while,

Strabane
Level Contributor
563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My (very late) day trip reports!

thanks for that enjoyable report and the tips about the water taxies etc. really enjoyed it and got a lof of information from it.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My (very late) day trip reports!

I also enjoyed your trip report. How old are your children?

I once watched for a while as a moving van gondola packed up and took away furniture.

England
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My (very late) day trip reports!

Thanks for your kind comments, guys.

My kids are ten and twelve and they really loved both Venice and Lake Garda and want to go again next year, (I agree, maybe in May next time).

We've been to Italy before, (to Tuscany two years' ago which was lovely and I've been to Rome minus kids), but nothing really prepared us for the beauty of Lake Garda, and the amazing waterworld that is Venice! I'd been wanting to go to Venice ever since my Year 8 Geography teacher showed us some school trip slides - what took me so long?? (But it was worth the wait!)

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My (very late) day trip reports!

Thank you for sharing your day trips with us. I can just picture your children's faces and the smiles. What fun.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My (very late) day trip reports!

Fun trip report! Thanks :)

Florida Michigan
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My (very late) day trip reports!

What a spectacular trip for your children. Everything you do with them will form the people they will be in this world.

England
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My (very late) day trip reports!

Thanks for your feedback, guys.

Eve, you're so right. I really want the kids to grow up with an appreciation of other cultures and hope that they'll (eventually) share my enthusiasm for history!I do worry sometimes that they take our trips for granted - I never went on holiday when I was a child as we couldn't afford it, (my mother used to say, 'every day's a holiday in Blackpool!')

Having said that, we're off to play 'crazy golf' in the local park today as the sun has (finally) come out and they'll be thrilled with that too!

Fingers crossed it won't take me another twenty plus years to get back to Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy