We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Bus Stop

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Water Bus Stop

Hi Robert

I am having a difficult time with the waterbus web site. Even when I try to get the facts in English they are all italian. Would you be able to tell me which stop we get off at if we are staying at Corte Contarina 1931, Venice 30122, Italy from Marco Polo?

I am gathering from the postings about the hotel its the Vaperotto 1. Which folks say is close to the hotel. But honestly I have no idea what that means. I am guessing once we get there it will all make sense. Like NY you get the subways once you are there.

But to save time and energy can you help us for our arrival?

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,564 reviews
from US$56.80*
Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from US$175.60*
US$195.80
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,541 reviews
from US$75.80*
US$92.20
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
292 reviews
from US$82.10*
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,825 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Bus Stop

I am a little confused. There are both a Contarina and a Contarini in San Marco sestiere. There is no vaporetto service from the Marco Polo airport, only the Alilaguna ferry which will take you to S.Zaccaria near San Marco.

Contarina does not require a vaporetto to reach from San Marco as it lies parallel to Salizzada S. Moise behind the Correr Museum and is only a short walk from Piazza San Marco.

You probably, I think, mean Corte Contarini.

Corte Contarini is a short street and courtyard on the Grand canal between Palazzo Grimani and Palazzo Volpi. It lies about half way between the vaporetto landing stages Rialto and S. Angelo.

If you are in the Marco Polo area there is no vaporetto landing stage named San Marco. There are two very close by called San Zaccaria and Vallaresso.

Vaporetto Line No. 1 is the slower of the lines on the Grand Canal as it calls at every landing stage.

Line 82 is the faster line, calling at San Zaccaria and Valaresso and, if I remember correctly, does not stop at S. Angelo but does stop at Rialto. From Rialto you would have to retrace your steps along the canalside (Riva del Carbon) and eventually turn left, away from the Grand Canal and skirt round the Palazzo grimani before crossing a side canal close to the Teatro Rossini and then turn right into C. Contarini.

If you are arriving from Marco Polo airport I presume you are planning to take the Alilaguna ferry (there is no vaporetto service from the airport) to S. Zaccaria. This is a case when it is worth considering the extra expense of a private water taxi from Marco Polo Airport direct to your Corte Contarini so avoiding the need to trans-ship yourself and your baggage or to walk through the streets of Venice. Private water taxis can be hired from the Consorzio Moroscafi Venezia desk in the arrivals hall and will cost c. 80 - 100 euros for upto 6 passengers and their luggage.

The Alilaguna ferry costs 10 euros per head and a vaporetto on the Grand Canal is 5 euros per head. Baggage can be a nuisance on the vaporetto boats.

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Bus Stop

Spotted this one in passing - have you tried www.velaspa.com? Takes you to a site "Hellovenezia". Click on "English" at the top of the screen which takes you to a screen with "water service" in the middle. Click on that not only takes you to an interactive planner - more interestingly just below it to a line "download the complete waterbus timetable". This will give you a pdf file with the 58 page timetable (with Ernest Hemmingway on the front and a lot of English inside) all current routes, times and some fairly uncomplicated maps in colour. And this prints. Made trip planning an awful lot easier - it is available in Venice for ���0.60

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Bus Stop

Thank you Mste I will look at that now.

Thank you Robert..its still a bit hard for me to follow but I think I get it. I may re-read this a few times.

The hotel is Corte Contarina Castello, 1931, Venice 30122, Italy I cut and pasted it right from trip advisor.On the map of Venice it looks to be sort East of St. Marks Square and on Riva Degeli Schiavoni. Or barely north of it.

Can I take transport (maybe a land taxi ) to Piazzale Roma then grab a water taxi from there to my hotel? Will that save us any cost?

If need be we will do the water taxi the entire way.

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Bus Stop

Disregard my last question as I finally found a map that makes sense www.alilaguna.it/…

I now can see I need a ferry or something to bring me to Venice then something to take me through to my hotel.

So either I can take a ferry to Venice, then pick up a water taxi OR take a water taxi from the start directly to my hotel. Correct?

Thank you Robert.

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Bus Stop

The alilaguna site is the best. Now it all makes sense!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,825 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Bus Stop

Thank you for the information. There is, as well as the places I have already mentioned, a Corte Contarina in the Castello sestiere. This lies off the Via Garibaldi, close to the church of S. Francesco di Paola. This is not a touristy area, rather more working class residential.

If you take the Alilaguna route which calls at Arsenale you would then have to walkdown the Riva away from San Marco until you reach the Via Garibaldi, a wide street going off to your leftish, walk down Via garibaldi about 150 yards or so and turn left into Calle dei Preti or Calle Coltrera. C. Contarina lies about half way down these two short streets.

If you do decide to use a private water taxi then Rio della Tana runs very close to C. Contarina in Castello.

Vaporetto line 1 calls at Arsenale and at the next landing stage Giardini Esposizione but I do not think you need to use this vaporettto lineif you get off the Alilaguna ferry at Arsenale. If you get off the Allaguna ferry at San Zaccaria then Line 1 would sav you some walking but not a lot.

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
196 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Bus Stop

Thank you!