We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Croce vs. San Marco- location and apartment questions

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
3 posts
Save Topic
Santa Croce vs. San Marco- location and apartment questions

Hi all---

My wife and I are traveling to Italy in early November. We will be flying into Venice and spending three nights there.

We want to rent an apartment so we have the ability to cook. We have found two that fit the bill:

one is 80 euros a night, and in the Santa Croce area, not far from the Giacomo Dell'Orio area; the other is 100 euros a night, in the San Marco area very near the Rialto bridge.

Questions: I know the Santa Croce area is less touristy (which is a plus for us), how do the two areas compare in terms of crime, "busy-ness", and convenience? We would rather stay off the beaten path a bit, and walking a bit isn't a problem for us.

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about Venice, but we are learning much as we go along.

This forum is great.

MikeinMinneapolis

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Croce vs. San Marco- location and apartment questions

We always stay in Santa Croce area. From there we walk all over Venice and hardly ever use the vaporetta. It would certainly be very busy in the Rialto Bridge area. I don't know if the apartments are comparable ,but if they are I would save the money and stay in Santa Croce. I have never observed any crime in Venice. It is small and very walkable and there are no 'no go' areas as there are in other cities in Europe and the U.S My wife and I have been out in all areas at all times of the night and never worry about crime.

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Croce vs. San Marco- location and apartment questions

There is no problem regarding safety in Venice, the major risks are pickpockets in the busy tourist areas (not so busy in November, I suppose). There is no "bad" area in Venice and if you buy a vaporetto pass (or a Venice card = vaporetto pass+free entrance to a series of sites) you can reach everything in a short time. When we go to Venice we stay in the train station area, just for the opportunity to take the vaporetto as many times as possible (do not forget that in most of the Venice "top tens" the vaporetto ride on the Grand Canal is considered as the first attraction).

Conclusion: choose according to price/ammenities and not accorting to the location, but do stay in Venice and not in Mestre or Lido.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,127 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Croce vs. San Marco- location and apartment questions

Another plus to staying in the S.Croce area would be the shops, for self catering , there is a small supermarket in Campo San Giocomo dell orio,and also you would be near the Rialto Market, and the bottom line there are no, no go areas in Venice,

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Croce vs. San Marco- location and apartment questions

I cast my vote for Santa Croce. We always stay in that area because we prefer it over the busier S. Marco area. It is convenient for arriving and departing from P. Roma (the most economical way to arrive and depart is by bus) and not far to go with luggage.

5. Re: Santa Croce vs. San Marco- location and apartment questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 11:24