We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

We are taking our 4 children (aged 6-12) to Venice July 17-19/08. I hadn't thought of planning any tours in advance until I started to read the forums. Should I book Doges' Palace tour? Do I need to book anything for St. Marks or can you just walk in? We're staying near St. Marks and arriving by water taxi. Should we take the trip to Murano? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,127 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

If you want to do the Secret Itineries tour , it doe have to be pre booked, it is worth while but I recommend if you do take an early tour as in Summer it can be hot, it is in a confined space, and no A/C.

To book

http://www.museiciviciveneziani.it/

There is plenty to see in Venice for such a short stay I would not bother with Murano.

It would be an idea to get a Guide book in advance, to see what is on offer,

D&K's Venice Top Ten is small and compact,

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

I would honestly not book any tours apart from as Spohie suggested the Secret tour if that is your kind of thing. July will be hot and your children might not enjoy the tours. There is a great book called Venice for Kids which explains things in a simple way, gives them mini treasure hunts it is a great investment especially if you want to see some specific places. Children love the vaporetti - go against the flow of traffic and they you can get a better chance for the outside seats .

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,127 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

............or get on at Piazzale Roma,

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

Ah ha but if its the 2 it comes from Tronchetto---...Sophie we could go on for hours !!!!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

For traveling on the Grand Canal is there any particular stop we should get on or off at? (Our hotel is near St. Mark's.) Where do we buy the 24hr pass? Also, do we need to buy tickets in advance for general tours of Doge's Palace or for entrance into St. Mark's? Thanks.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

You can buy your tickets at any main landing stage, St St Marks the main stop is Valaresso but there is another on the riva ( to the left as you leave San Marco ) called San Zaccaria ). You do not need to purchase your tickets in advance for entry. However as you are so close I would go early to avoid any queues and any tour groups.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
119 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

I just returned from 4 nights in Venice...ahhh how I envy you!

I was travelling with my teenage daughter and here would be my advice to you. It was hot when we were in Venice and I would imagine will be in July. I had "pre-booked" entry times into St. Mark's and it worked like a charm. My entry time was at 9:45-9:55 and I just walked past the long line of very hot people in a very long line and entered in the "group entrance" door, second door from the left facing St. Mark's. CHeck out this website:http://www.venetoinside.com/default.aspx?PAGINA=2452&PID=7

From there we went to the DOge Palace, again bypassing lines, for our 11:30 Secret Itineraries tour. Pre-booking was THE BEST thing I did as it was hot and VERY CROWDED even in the morning.

As we had 72 hour vaparetto passes we took the vaparetto to Murano and then on to Burano. Murano was a bust for us. The selection of glass was no more exciting than in Venice and as it was hot, it was really hot. I love Burano and it was my second time there, first for my daughter. It is a very slowed down Venice, not very touristic, and the homes have great color and reward you with terrific pictures. The kids might be bored, but the water bus back to Venice was worth it as it is quite large and the breeze felt great on a hot day. The traffic in and around the islands is amusing and it was a terrific half day for us.

My only other suggestion would be to eat in some of the restaurants in the "neighborhoods", away from St. Marks. We had a terrific meal at Muro in Santa Croce and went back the second night as it was so delicious, calm and quiet and not at all a rip-off.

Have a super trip!!!!

CINCINNATI
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

Our family of four (2 teenagers) just returned from a trip to Italy that included 2 nights in Venice (June 6-8). The only thing we pre-booked in Venice was the Secret Itineraries Tour. I really enjoyed the tour. However, there was a 5 year old that wasn't interested at all and the guide was not tolerant. The child tried to sit on the floor and she'd make him get up, she kept saying not to touch things, etc.) Depending on your kids interest, you might find that the tour isn't worth the extra cost.

Regarding St. Marks, we found out through a Rick Steve's book that if you do a free backpack check at a church nearby (don't remember the name), they give you a ticket where you are allowed to bypass the line. It was great because the line was very long.

If you're planning to use the vaporettos, we found the passes worked great. We bought them at the airport, used them for the bus from the airport to Venice, and for all our trips exploring Venice. If you end up buying them, check into the Rolling Venice card for your kids. It costs 4 euros but reduces the cost of the vaporetto passes. (You can buy the Rolling Venice card at the same counter where you buy the vaporetto pass.)

Enjoy your trip.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
706 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

MJJTTravller: (or any others!)

I will be traveling to Venice soon myself, but I'll only have 1.5 days and don't want to cram in too much.

For St Mark's visit - just do the free Basilica? It also has the museum, bell tower, right? Are those worth going to? The clock tower is something different?

I don't know if I want to do Doge's palace, since I have such limited time. What about Accademia?

I'm definitely doing the cruise down the Canal - just take the vaporetto line all around? There is no actual boat that just cruises the Canal?

I do want to spend alot of my time enjoying Venice on foot, I am staying in Venice near Accademia. I am coming from Mantova, so hopefully, I will be able to take a train into Lucia station.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Grazie

Michele

10. Re: 4 kids (6-12) 2 nights Venice - plan tours in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 12:24