We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can We Buy Vaporetto Tickets (not passes) in Advance?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Can We Buy Vaporetto Tickets (not passes) in Advance?

We will be in Venice for 5 days in August. I have searched the forums and found the prices listed for Vaporetto passes (thanks Sophie), and since we intend to walk pretty much everywhere, I suspect they will not be as cost effective for us. We will, however, be taking the Vaporetto from the train station to our hotel (Castello near San Zaccaria) on our first day, and back again on our last day. We may also take it for a couple of other trips if we are too tired to walk or if the distance is too far, so my question is can we buy a few tickets at once? Or are the tickets printed for each journey? Is there an equivalent in Venice of the "carnet" in Paris where you can buy a pack of 10 tickets at a lower price? I understand from Sophie's post that each ride is 6.5 Euros.

Also, are there usually long line ups to purchase tickets (I'm expecting this may be the case at the train station)? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Castello
Hotel Castello
567 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
4,793 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
prince william co...
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can We Buy Vaporetto Tickets (not passes) in Advance?

You can buy the tickets in advance. Just ask the clerk not to validate them. Then you can validate (stamp) each ticket just before use. There is no equivalent to the Parisian Metro "carnet".

Strabane
Level Contributor
563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can We Buy Vaporetto Tickets (not passes) in Advance?

hi - i was wondering if you could clarify the difference int actv and acto (hope ive got this rigth) buses - what i mean is if im arriving into marco polo around 15.30 in the afternoon which would be the best method of transport to pizzla roma considering kids, luggage and buggy in tow. Also would it be more economical to purchase the Vaporetto pass for 24hours as we are staying near st lucia train station and also hope to take the canal trip. Advice would be gratefully appreciated. As I'm beginning to get really nervous about this part of our trip i.e. arriving in venice and getting to hotel with the kids and luggage and all - especially as Ive taken on the job this year to be chief transport organiser and not my husband as previous years!!

Mentioned in this post
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
4,793 Reviews
Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,380 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can We Buy Vaporetto Tickets (not passes) in Advance?

You can buy Vaporetto paases in advance and not get them validated, but to buy a Pass is no different than getting a 1 off ticket, you buy them at a ticket booth at the Vaporetto stop-, they are good value but unless you intend to make good use of them its false ecconomy,

Mentioned in this post
Vaporetto
Vaporetto
4,793 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,928 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can We Buy Vaporetto Tickets (not passes) in Advance?

ACTV (www.actv.it) is the company which runs the water buses (vaporetti) but not the Alilaguna ferry from Marco Polo (www.alilaguna.it). It also runs the service buses on the mainland and the Lido. Its No 5 service connects Marco Polo and Piazzlae Roma; tickets cost2 euro, journey takes c. 35/40 minutes.

ATVO (www.atvo.it)is a different company which runs bus and coach services covering a wider area of the mainland. It is responsible for the express coach service between Marco Polo and Piazzale Roma; tickets cost 3 euros, journey takes around 20/25 minutes.

ATVO coaches from Marco Polo provide more room for luggage than the ACTV service bus.

ACTV tickets can be bought at Marco Polo and at every ticket kiosk on all landing stages. They coast 6.50 euros each and are valid for 60 minutes in any one direction. You can buy as many as you wish but they do not come as a booklet. They need to be time stamped (like rail tickets) to be valid. Unless you specifically ask, the kiosk staff will automatically stamp them when they sell them but if you ask they will refrain and you can do it for yourself when you wish to travel.

If you are making ore than two journeys in the day then the period passes (ACTV Travel cards), which can be bought for 12, 24, 36, 48 or 72 hours, are good value.

Queues at ticket kiosks I have never found very long on any landing stage and move quickly.

Mentioned in this post
Lido
Lido
1,745 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can We Buy Vaporetto Tickets (not passes) in Advance?

Thank you all for your help - this was exactly what I needed to know. Do most ACTV ticket agents speak English? I'm just wondering if there will be any difficulty in asking them (in English) not to validate the other tickets that I buy. I'm not sure if I can come up with the words in Italian with my meagre phrase book, and the handful of words that I know ;-) Still practicing beginner Italian, but haven't yet come across "please don't validate the tickets".

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,380 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can We Buy Vaporetto Tickets (not passes) in Advance?

You will have no problem speaking English with people in places like this, Shops, Resaurants Bars etc anything connected with tourism,

7. Re: Can We Buy Vaporetto Tickets (not passes) in Advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 13:17