We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice Must-See?

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Venice Must-See?

Hello. I am taking my first trip to Venice in October 2008. What is one thing I absolutely must do or see while I'm there, aside from all the typical sites and tours? I'm looking for off the beaten path; fun; unusual.

I'll also be visiting Rome and Florence, so any must-see advice for those cities would also be appreciated. Thanks!

-Jacy...as ever...on the fly

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,082 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice Must-See?

As far as Venice goes, a lot depends on what your interests are, get a Guide book such as D&K's Venice Top Ten, this list the top ten of almost every thing, from Churches to Bars, you name it, will give you a good insight,

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice Must-See?

One of my favorite things to do is a vaporetto ride down the length of the Grand Canal, early in the morning and at night. It is an absolutely incredible sight!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice Must-See?

I read lot of travel guides but the one I take with me is the DKtop10guides it is small with good maps etc.

If you go away from the San Marco area and explore you will find fewer tourists and lots of places to poke around.

Instead of just going to the Doge Palace and/or basilica in SanMarco square , go there early in the morning,or even better go for sunset.That is the most magical sight!!

You might consider reading Venetian Dream,or at least skimming through it .It's the true story of a young American woman who spent a year in Venice. On my visit in Sept. I plan to walk around her neighborhood.

Have fun and enjoy.

DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice Must-See?

You might want to look into Doges Palace and the Secret Itinerary tour. Also the Jewish Ghetto. These are areas that we did not get to do but will the next time we are in Venice. Also I know it isn't off the beaten path but Burano is quaint for their diff colored houses if you can ignore the tourists. We did a lot of wandering into diff neighborhoods and came across teh Guggenheim art museum and saw a little more of Venice this way. We also went to the Island Cemetry but beware of the mosquitos.

5. Re: Venice Must-See?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 12:18