We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I or shouldn't I???

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,780 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Should I or shouldn't I???

Well I put this in the Veneto forum yesterday but no answers so I thought I'd try Venice today.

This is a description of a full day tour I am considering . It leaves from Venice and lasts 9hrs. It is a small group of 8 or less.

A full day tour exploring the beautiful hill towns of Veneto: Marostica, Bassano del Grappa & Asolo. Framed by the Dolomites, it is a place whose peace, tranquility and natural beauty will provide you with memories that will last a lifetime. TOUR INCLUDES ENTRANCE FEES & GUIDED TOUR OF THE VILLA BARBARO, WINE TASTINGS AT A LOCAL PROSECCO VINEYARD & A LOCAL LICENSED EXPERT GUIDE TO EXPLORE THE HILL TOWNS.

Is this itinerary (or something close to it) possible for me to do on my own with NO car OR should I just bite the bullet and spend the 110 euros for the tour? All thoughts/opinions eagerly awaited.Grazie

Grazie

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,502 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I or shouldn't I???

mom,

I wish I could be more help but I can't.

But just a thought: the car for one day would require perhaps 70 euro, plus some benzene, plus the hassle of fooling around with it, plus the work of driving around in an area where the road signage is not always very good. I would be inclined to take the tour, especially with such a small group.

I hope this works out well for you.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I or shouldn't I???

If this is something you really want I would go for it...It would be very time consuming to do on your own...you would have to get your transportation to all of the towns and then get to the wineries....seems like a no brainer....Do you know anything about who is offering this? That would be something to check out....

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I or shouldn't I???

That sounds like a nice days outing. I would go for it. That is as long as it does not rob you of your time in Venice.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,780 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I or shouldn't I???

Thankyou all for your opinions. It really does sound like a nice day out to me. I suppose my reluctance has to do with my independent nature AND the less than perfect exchange rate. I have 7 full days in Venice this time so I thought I could spend 1 of them in the surrounding countryside. Still 2 months and 14 days to go so I have some time to consider all the possibilities.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I or shouldn't I???

riffsmom... I can't remember if you had been to Verona or not. WOW what a great,inexpensive day trip that is. So much to see in Verona. What a beautiful city.

Guilford, CT
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I or shouldn't I???

riffsmom,

Although the idea of a "tour" always turns me off and all of our travel is very independent , we did that exact "hill town" tour about 3 years ago and enjoyed it very much. Rethinking that day...and it was a long one...I believe I would recommend going with the tour. We were a small group of 7 or 8 people with a lovely young woman who was our driver/guide. We did not spend a lot of time at each of the small towns but at each we were given time on our own to wander a bit. The restaurant for lunch was prearranged and was fine. The wine tasting was in a lovely setting. We also visited one of the Paladio mansions. I recall that we did run into the normal "after-work" type traffic on the way back so it was early evening before we got back to Venice. I don't know if it would be more time efficient for you to do it on your own, but I think it might actually be more relaxing to let someone else do the driving and planning.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I or shouldn't I???

If you were on a driving holiday it could be worth considering doing the trip on your own - but to consider hiring a car specifically is a different matter.

Remember, on the first day you`re still getting used to the car and driving in a foreign country.

Of course, all the car expenses mentioned (include parking) would remain the same even if you are a group of four so the trip by car would work out much cheaper.

Sorry - I`ve realised I`m confusing you even more.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I or shouldn't I???

Hey riffsmom,

The tour sounds interesting. and is a small group, so it would be more personal...

As the other poster said, if you don't feel like its robbing you a day in Venice, then bite the bullet and see something you have interest in..

I have made some decisions to do things that I didn't initially consider..

4 SLEEPS TO GO.........

Greece
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I or shouldn't I???

I think that you must go to this tour. I have been to Asolo for a couple of hours, and simply cannot forget it.

It is like a castle town... It must be quite expensive, all Ferrari and very expensive cars going up to the villas...

Just go for it, I believe it's worthwile. Where did you find that excursion?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,780 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I or shouldn't I???

Grazie mille a tutti,

Sandtown, Thankyou for the description of your experience with the tour.

hat, No ,I am not really considering renting a car for the day so you didn't confuse me. I think besides the cost, and the fact that I don't drive a standard car,it would be too isolating as I travel alone.

CatherineGreece,Here is the tour website.

http://www.tours-italy.com/veneto/index.html

I think now that I will probably do it.