We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

Hi All

DAY 4 19th June

Well up nice and early, had our windows wide open for our last view of the Lagoon from our lovley hotel. Watching the cruise ships coming in, vaporetti and ferries coming and going. We were all packed up and ready to go for breakfast. Got a call from Lin, if we had any room in our cases, we were jam packed, only had 18" carry ons and had to makesure we could fit our handbags into our cases at the airport ( ryanairs strict hand luggage policy ) Well Lin had bought loads of stuff, 2 handbags and gifts. I did say to her in the shop, " Will you be able to fit them in your bag? " she said " sure, they pack flat" Well now she was panicking, I went down to the room to see, well I couldn't believe what she had in there !!! full sized bottles of sun cream, moisturiser, hair products etc, I always take travel sizes in hand luggage, 50ml bottles. I said get rid of them, but she said " no its good stuff" Any way between the 4 of us we managed to spread around her clothes, sure was a tight fit.

WEnt for our last breakfast on the terrace, and I made sure I had a bit of everything ! to last me for the day, usually not hungry till 3pm after a good breakfast.Said goodbye to our lovely staff, and told them I would recommend them on TA. We got the bus for the last time to SMN boat stop, was now about 11am, We had to be at Pzl Roma for the 2pm bus to Treviso. Bit of a scrum for some reason getting on vaporetto, and someone went over mums foot with their suitcase, we got outside seats for our last trip over the lagoon towards San Marco, and up the Canale Grande, on another beautiful sunny day. Said farewell to all my favourites, then my gleaming skull sculpture. We did not want this journey to end.

We get to the Pzl at about 12pm, we wanted to have plenty of time before the bus, just to wander this area. I looked down at mums foot, and OMG it was black and blue !! I sat her down in the little park near the market stalls and went to get an ice cold bottle of water to hold on her foot. ( poor mum always has some kind of mishap when we are away, last time she was in Rome she fell and bust her nose, that did not end up to be broken though, but it was scary ) any how we did not end up having a wander around, we just sat in the little park, but it was nice though. I would like to stay in that area I thought it was nice, and hotels are quite reasonable.

So we went and waited at the bus stop, D2 for Treviso, while there I notice an elderly lady struggling up a kerb with a huge case and holdall, I went over to give her a hand, and we got talking for hours, she could not believe how small our cases were. She had been staing with friends and was travelling on to Milan, she travelled everywhere alone,and she was 68. When the bus came I got everyones cases on, including my new friend. She was amazed at my knowledge and how well organised we were, I told her I owe it all to TripAdvisor, and gave her the web address, and my email. she says she will certainly check TA out ( i'm sure she will be amazed)

As we had priority boarding we just needed to go straight to security, no probs we thought, I had all my liquids in my little plastic bag and sailed thru. Not Lin I looked round and there she was with all her wares out of the case and a strange man rummaging though it, I knew it, any way she was overweight, and had not declared her liqiuds, The chap was saying she would have to go back in line and check the bag in the hold, which would dealy us terribly ( I had this trouble with Lin in Florence last year, and she had not learned her lesson ) any how, she had to throw away all her lotions and potions and he let her through, ( hope she learns this time LOL )Any way once through, you are allowed to get your bag back out of your case, just big enough for passports and tickets, but no, not Lin she bringd this huge white bag out, so just as we go to board, she gets stopped again, and this bag is searched. She is thinking she is so hard done by, but I say " its is your fault, I told you the rules, no big bags " Guess I'm a bit of a stickler over these things, but it happens every time. Even giong to Rome in January , my friend Teresa had a huge bag, and I thought " Oh No, here we go again" any way, that was that , it was nice to get priority boarding as there was no scrum, like usual with budget airlines ( no allocated seats)

So that was it Off on the flight, Venice was disappearing fast........ by the way to all that asked, no G at the airport !!! declaring undying love !!!LOL .. I never expected it, for a start he didn't know what time my flight was, or which airport we were leaving from. But he did ring me when I got home and the day after, and the day after that !!! He reckons he is coming over to see me, "very soon" he says. Well I will believe that when I see it. I'm not being cynical, just keeping it real. I say to him Lentemente. The novelty may wear off, after all there must be thousand of available females visiting Venice over the next few months., plenty more eager tourists soaking up the Italian charm and smooth talk. As I say I'm a early 40's divorced mum of a 20 something son. I was not born yesterday, ( by the way G told me he is 35yr ) But it did make my trip a touch more memorable and special.

That all Folks !!

Jess

Mentioned in this post
Treviso
Treviso
Province of Treviso, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

aw Jess what a last installment !!!

sounds like it was a bit of a "trial" at the airport but you like me seem to find nothing goes smoothly !!!

so G didn't turn up :-(

never mind but as you say he wasn't to know flight times ...

so glad he kept in touch :-)

hey who knows what waits around the corner ?!?

don't put yourself down ...

i believe there's someone out there for everbody (well i hope so anyway !!)

thanks for the great trip reports ...

i really should finish mine LOL !!!

XxEm

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

I'm sorry to see your report end. I looked forward to it every day. I also enjoy reading the replies people write. I hope a lot more people will do these reports - they allow those of us at home to travel vicariously through others.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

Like mormor I am sorry to see the last of your reports. My wife is like Lin ,always over packs. It looks to me that you packed a week into your short visit. Thanks for sharing it with us.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,622 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

Thanks Jess, very graphic report, to the woes of over packing, I will not say more I might put my foot in it..............

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

Jessy, I have just reread all 4 reports in sequence while having a little nip before bed. I travelled with my mother and young son to Venice and your trip bought back memories for me. I had a chuckle and nodded my head in agreement I pictured that sunset and travelled the wonderful moments with you and eventhough I'm married I wouldn't mind a muscley gondolier man taking me for a ride and I wouldn't be keeping my eyes on his face either. Hang on, that's the drink talking. Italian men, hooley dooley, I'm looking forward to my trip and see if I can spot some of these guys, hang on , I meant the sights. Thanks very much, regards, Lily.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

Well Jess, the end is here, we are sad as we felt your trip was a mini series, and we were eagerly waiting for the next episode..

grazie mille for sharing your journey with us...

and "G" .....he might suprise you!

Lily, the power of "VINO" It makes us say things we only think of..lol.... 3 sleeps to go...

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

ohhhhhhhhhh Jess, i don't want your reports to end either, makes me feel sad :(

you had me right back there while sitting here thousands of miles away,

whether G comes over to you or not, it was a sweet icing on the cake and you never know, he just might :)

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,212 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

Thank you all so much for your replies, its funny, when you finish writing your reports it seems that it is finally the end, while writing them you feel as if you are still there. and if I have brought back some memories for all of us, I'm happy'

Em ;; thanks, Yes you get to finishing that report guuurl , poor liz is on tenterhooks

Thanks Mormor

Travelrrr.... thanks, so do you keep your wifes luggage in check !!

Sophie... Cheers !

Lily .... cheers to you too !!! you are so funny, you did make me laugh out loud !!!!

Dim .... Wow 3 sleeps !! have you heard more from Melissa ?

Jeanette.... Ohh Jeanette !! I never wanted yours to end either, far more exciting than mine !! ( everyone : read jeanettes' trip reports, they make mine look tame !! LOL )

... Heres hoping we'll have some tales to tell next May....

G has texted me today asking when he can come.... I have emailed him ryanairs website for cheap flights so it is down to him now...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

Now jessy, You know you can't let this one go, you have to let us know what is happening with G, poor man, if only he knew how many women are watching his next move. I have my morning coffee in hand, a big smile on my face and eagerly await your next post.Keep well, regards Lily.

Katina, 3 days, how exciting and wonderful, hope you have an amazing trip, travel well and safe and hey, you never know your luck, you might have some interesting tales to tell us as well. Regards, Lily.

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eagerly awaited trip to Venice Pt 4

Jessy, I have been in New York for a few days and just found your report. What a great read! Oh so romantic! Please keep us posted about G, we are all dreaming of the possibilities...

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK