We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

Sorry - I know the restaurant threads are done to death on this forum, but I'm having trouble finding a really nice restaurant that's open in August. We'd like to dress for dinner - suit for DH and a dress for me. Just to complicate the criteria further, I can't eat fish or seafood - husband loves it though. So we'd like a place that has other choices beyond the vast array of seafood that seems to be on offer. Cost isn't a huge issue, since we'd like to have one big splurge during our time in Venice. Not a deal breaker, but if we could find one in the Castello region close to where we are staying (Palazzo Priuli), or that is fairly close to a vaporetto stop, that would spare my poor feet long walks in high heels. (The heels will be quickly stuffed back into the suitcase at all other times, and my trusty old comfy ones will be brought back out!) Thanks so much!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

You might consider La Terrazza at the Danieli. It's an elegant, dressy restaurant on the rooftop of the Danieli, with a truly spectacular view. The Danieli is directly in front of vaporetto stops for pretty much everwhere, and only a few steps away from St. Marks Square - a walk you can and should do at night, even in heels. My dinner there nearly 10 years ago lived in my memory as the most spectacular "meal with a view" in my life, and our dinner there last fall lived up to the memory. The food is not as memorable as the view, but it's still a fantastic experience.

I didn't have seafood on either visit, so I'm sure there are other options. It seems to fit what you are looking for, with the added bonus of a truly spectacular view.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,409 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

I doubt if any restaurants in Venice insist on suits for men anymore. Smart casual will get you anywhere these days. I always remember dining at the up-market Gritti Palace where I was wearing my double-breasted jacket and my wife was in her Milanese finery only to see a party at a near-by table with both men and women in shorts and what I think are called Hawaaian style shirts and one even wearing a baseball cap. I knew the Maitre quite well and commented to him on the fall in dress standards. He shrugged his shoulders and said "They are on holiday, what do you expect".

Along the Riva degli Schiavoni the Met restaurant in the Metropole Hotel is one of only two places in Venice with a Michelin star. Theri menu is quite varied so you will find plenty of choice amongst the non fish or seafood items. Unfortunately for you fish and sea-food are probably the best parts of the Venetian cuisine. The other Michelin star is on the far side of the Grand Canal in San Polo, a bit far for your high heeled shoes!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

Thank you both for your suggestions. We will definitely check out La Terrazza and The Met. Presumably we can make reservations once we're in Venice, about three days before the dinner?

Thanks again!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

I also think 'La Terrazza' on the top floor of Hotel Danieli is your best bet. The restaurant has recently been beautifully refurbished, amazing food that includes plenty of meat dishes and to top it all off the terrace offers probably the most magnificent view of Venice. You can definitely dress up as this is an elegant restaurant where most men would be in jackets and ladies in cocktail dresses or evening attire.

Alternatively, I'd also suggest La Cusina at the Westin Europa & Regina Hotel 5 mins from St Marks Square where you can eat on the stunning terrace along the canal. The food is equally good and the atmosphere also very elegant.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

I would reserve at the Danieli in advance, then cancel if you decide to go elsewhere. On my first visit,I waited until I arrived, and could not get in until the last night of my stay. I have read reports of other guests not being able to get a reservation when they waited until arrival. It didn't look as busy on my last visit, but why take the chance? By all means, ask for an outdoor table. I recommend reserving a fairly early dining time, both to get a great table, and to take advantage of the view both before, during, and after sunset. All three are incredible.

Connoseiur - I am glad to hear that La Terrazza looks great after the renovation. (My visit was shortly before the renovations began.) It sounds as if the food may now be up to the view, too!

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

These are all good suggestions and would just like to second the La Cusina at the Westin Europa & Regina. However, if the scaffolding is still covering La Salute then the view is not as perfect as it normally would be.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

Thanks once again to all for taking the time to respond. I see that the Hotel Danieli is quite close to where we are staying so seems to fit the bill perfectly. I have emailed for reservations now just to be safe. If anything goes awry, then we also now know of the Met and La Cusina as back ups (or in case we win the lottery and can splurge on more than one big night out!).

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

Hi WDWDolphinFan, just to let you know they have done a good job with the renovation of La Terrazza Danieli -have added modern touches but retained the Venetian feel which sits well with the atmosphere of being in Venice and view of the Palazzo Ducale. As for the food they have appointed a new executive chef and the food is now so good that I am hearing the cusine being compared to that of Da Fiore..

pmmcTo - am sure you will have a lovely time at La Terrazza. I agree with the other members definitely book in advance and have a great time!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

Villa Fiore:

I am so glad to hear that - now I won't have to temper my recommendations. (The food wasn't bad or disappointing before, just not up to "great food" standards.) Now I just need to convince my husband to return to Venice!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upscale Restaurant That's Open in August?

I'm sorry - I meant to thank VillaOrchid! (It's apparently too early this morning for my brain to be working!)