We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing a Venice Card

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MA
3 posts
Save Topic
Purchasing a Venice Card

I want to make an online purchase of a couple Venice Cards for my upcoming trip, but there's no information about how to select the dates you'd like. I know that you're supposed to pick it up at the rail station when you arrive... do we just present the printable receipts to get our cards? Do I need my credit card? Or am I missing something and you actually do have to select the dates...

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,146 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing a Venice Card

Good questions. I am planning to do the same thing for my trip in September but thought I'd wait a bit to actually buy. When I have paid for other types of reservations in Venice they usually e-mail with a res. no. so if they give you a receipt on line that's probably all you need. I am sure you'd have your credit card with you anyway.

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing a Venice Card

We have "done" the Venice card the last 2 years, and most likely will opt for this again: we're going to be in Venice for almost a week, we visit the chorus churches,and will take advantage of the Bienniale discount, as well as doing a bit of island hopping. The option of "spur of the moment" and having the card works for us.

Many of the TA folks that frequent Venice have perfected the ACTV system, and I am constantly in awe when they can direct you to the vaporetto stop nearest your hotel or desired restaurant. (Robert and Sophie, I am constantly amazed every time I read a posting; and am more inawe at the patience you have when giving the same answer, time afer time....)

We have reserved online, printed out the confirmation receipt, and have taken it to the "pick up" location that we chose when ordering. It was a bit confusing last year, at PZ Roma, since we just fell into a line....that was not the right one. Look for the ACTV location on the canal, where you board the Vap! Just have your "paperwork" ready, smile, and know that even if it seems like an eternity, it really does go quite quickly, and you will be in the boat and on the canal in no time at all.

AND, make sure you validate the "pass" before you board! When you visit the first of the chorus churches, they will staple an identifying chorus church strip, and do a paper punch thing when you visit the churches in the "chorus".

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing a Venice Card

PS. When we have reserved "online" there is a pick-up date on the form. Would guess that would answer the date question. (pick up 6/30 for a 7 day pass)

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing a Venice Card

If you just reserve it online you will need to have cash to pay for it when you arrive, but if you prefer to pre-pay online then of course you do it with your credit card. We picked ours up at the airport but it was quick and easy.

West Virgina
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing a Venice Card

onegoldendog--

If we pick ours up at Marco Polo when we arrive, will we be able to hold it for two days while we visit Padua and then validate on our return to Venice? That's when our 7 days will begin.

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchasing a Venice Card

Yes, you can. Validate it before you board for your first vaporetto trip. Although, you may want to ask about the chorus pass if you are getting that too, I'm not sure about it because we just bought the vaporetto pass.

West Virgina
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchasing a Venice Card

Thank you for your quick response, onegoldendog. It seems quite easy.

letterkenny
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchasing a Venice Card

were going to lake garda in september and are planning to visit venice. what is a venice card and do we need one?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Purchasing a Venice Card

This is the website for the VeniceCard: hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/venicecard/index.jsp

You can get it for 3 or 7 days for transportation and/or for free admission to some churches and sites. You really have to figure out how many of the churches or other sites you'll be able to see in your visit that are included on the Venice Card as to whether it will save you money. I only got a 3 day vaporetto pass last year when I visited Venice (not a Venice Card) but this year I'll be staying for a longer period of time and will get the 7 day Venice Card for transportation and culture. For most people day or multiple day vaporetto passes are enough.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,146 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchasing a Venice Card

I agree with jaguar. Last year I just got a 72hr.vaporetto pass.They come in 12hr,24hr,48hr and 72hr so for 1 day probably the 12hr.would suffice.

This year I am also going for 7days so will buy the Venice CARD transportation and culture because it works out better.