We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

music in St. Marks Piazza in March?

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
633 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
music in St. Marks Piazza in March?

We will be in Venice and am wondering if the musicians will be playing in the the Piazza of St. Marks as early as mid to late March?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,563 reviews
from US$57.10*
Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
770 reviews
from US$176.50*
US$196.80
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,541 reviews
from US$76.20*
US$92.70
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
290 reviews
from US$82.50*
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,781 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: music in St. Marks Piazza in March?

This may help.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k10593…

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: music in St. Marks Piazza in March?

There should be some music but it will very much depend on the weather. The orchestras will always be in full force after their winter silence at Easter, for all the tourists who flock to Venice at that time. Next year Easter is not until mid April. We were in Venice in March last year (can't remember exact time of the month) and only one cafe (Florians) had an orchestra during the afternoon (not at night). The weather at the time was glorious - no rain at all but sunshine every day. So, I think provided it's not raining every day, you should find at least one orchestra playing in the afternoons, but possibly not at night.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
633 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: music in St. Marks Piazza in March?

Grazie Sophie and Illyria! I will be hoping for good weather! Am curious why they would play in the afternoon and not in the evening if it's nice out? I don't remember them playing at all in the after noon in early June when I was there.

Thanks for the help!

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: music in St. Marks Piazza in March?

Tufy - it would have been too cold in the evenings in March for people to sit out. In the afternoon the sun made it warm enough to sit out. That's probably why only Florians had the orchestra - because it is on the side of the Piazza that gets the afternoon sun. During the summer, as opposed to early spring, the orchestras hope to play from late morning through to just after midnight. If some rain is forecast they will still probably be hoping to play for some of the day. I've seen them shutdown for several hours when it's raining and then open up again.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
633 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: music in St. Marks Piazza in March?

Thanks for the info, off this topic then, how would you dress warmth wise for March in Venice? How cold is it usually? Do you think other than thin layers a winter coat or just a jacket? I know you can't predict the weather :), just wondering what you would bring.

Thanks for any help!

6. Re: music in St. Marks Piazza in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 03:19