We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to eat well in venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
1 post
Save Topic
How to eat well in venice

Hi all,

First post, so apologies if I get any etiquette wrong!

Hubby and I are going to Venice for the first time late September. We've taken an apartment adj Arsenale as hotels sooo expensive so will be doing mix of self catering and dining out. Have realised Venice v. pricey but would like to eat good value local food - any secret places you can recommend? Its' our 9th wedding anniversary while we're out there so romance and atmosphere high on list too....

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to eat well in venice

You can get some quick answers by using the Search box - just type in "romantic dinners" and you'll get some previous answers to other posters. You can also type in restaurants and get some general suggestions.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to eat well in venice

We found restaurants in Venice very disappointing and expensive compared with all other Italian cities (blame the tourists), but, of all the central areas, the 'Dorsoduro' (student) district bars and eateries were more interesting and affordable; regrettably we found it at the end of our 4-day stay!

prince william co...
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to eat well in venice

From the Arsenale waterbus stop walk along the waterfront (in the direction away from St. Mark's square) for about 250 meters and turn left onto the Via Giuseppe Garibaldi. Along the Via Garibaldi you will find several restaurants which serve mostly locals and which have lower-than-average prices for Venice. They're not "secret", however and I'm not sure about the romance factor.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,748 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to eat well in venice

YOu have to remember that Venice is an island and everything has to be brought in except maybe fish so things may be more expensive BUT it is possible to eat well. The local cuisine is heavy on fish/seafood for that reason.

I have spent hours discussing restaurants with people in anticipation of my weeklong visit coming up soon. I am looking forward to it so don't think there is no good food. I ate well on my last visit too. I stay on the exact opposite end of the city from where you will be so I cannot offer suggestions near your apartment. I just want to offer encouragement that with research you wil find good places. You might ask the people from whom you are renting to offer suggestions in the neighborhood.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,247 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to eat well in venice

There are quite a few Restaurants on the Via Garibaldi, some are rather expensive, but as most Restaurants in Venice they dispay Menus outside, priced and in English, there are also some good deli's there and a boat selling fresh fruit and Veg, the Via Garibaldi area, it is quite untouristy compared with a lot of Venice,

Leeds UK
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to eat well in venice

Hi

If you use the search engine with "reasonable" or "cheap" as a key word, you'll get some good reviews. We didn't spend the fortune we were expecting too when we went in April, we just used our common sense and stayed away from the touristy areas, meal deals and squares. In fact,we found it quite reasonable with no panic attacks from my Yorkshire born partner!

I think the biggest problem I've ever encountered is knowing how many courses to order.. After travelling around Italy for the last 6 years and agonising every time I looked at a menu, I suggest you make up your own combination.. That's what we did this time and the waiters never batted an eyelid.

Thanks

Jeanette

7. Re: How to eat well in venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 21:18