We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

We are lucky enough to be able to spend the night at any of them using travel points (thank God, there is a reward for all of the time I spend away from home on business). Please let us know what you think....we'll be there in early October. When we went in 2001, we loved the city, HATED the hotel our agent booked (funny, it was the only place we didn't ask her to book on our month long trip....we took her advice). Looking forward to hearing what you think. Thanks!! H

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

What a nice situation to be in. Anyone of the hotels would be a good choice. I have never stayed in any of these hotels so cannot recommend one over the other.

tripformynana
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

I will be at the Westin September 7th-9th and I will definitely post a review afterwards. I also am using points for the hotel, my decision was based on points per night because I needed 9 nights in total. I'll definitely post after the trip and feel free to ping me with questions.

New York
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

Hmm.. what a nice decision to make! Not sure if location is a determinating factor, Cipriani is beautiful hotel with nice setting but being on Giudecca Island it means a lot of hopping on and off the boats every time to get to/from central Venice. Whereas Gritti, Danieli and Westin are all within the historical center (all of them within 5 mins walk from St. Mark's Square), and are all lovely properties with thier own characteristics and charm. The Danieli has just completely the refurbishment of one of its wings, and heard the new rooms are stunning. Ditto for the newly-renovated roof-top restaurant where breakfast is served on the terrace with its famous view of the entire San Mark's Basin.

Another thing to consider is Gritti, Danieli and Westin all have private launches providing free shuttle service to their resort properties at Lido, and free access to the private beaches and swimming pools. On a sunny day it is not a bad idea to get away from the crowded streets of Venice and spend a day on the beach/ by the pool.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,049 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

I really would not know which to choose but for one night in October, I would go for one of the 3 in Venice proper,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,683 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

A lucky person who has stayed in all4 of these luxury Hotels and can give you overall advice. My wife and I have only stayed in the Gritti Palace for one week. It has changed hands since then so may have improved or gone down, cannot say.

When we stayed there we had, by European standards, an enormous bedroom with two bathrooms - one each! Food in the restaurant was superb and the terrace dining room has splendid views across the Grand Canal to Santa Maria della Salute. The Hotel has a very convenient location about halfway between Piazza San Marco and the Accademia with the S. Maria dell Giglio water bus landing stage very close by.

We woukld cheerfully go back - if we could afford it in our retirement!!

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

I have not stayed in the Cipriani. The Wall Street Journal, this past spring ,gave it very bad reviews.

I have stayed in the other three that you mentioned.

I peronally do not like the Danieli. I do not care for the location. Also they do have many high end tours booked into their hotel. Thus, many times the lobby is filled with suitcases. They do have a wonderful roof top restaurant.

I would stay at the Gritti. It is "old Venice' very beautiful , a wonderful location and their staff are very well trained.

Enjoy...I am sure which ever you select you will have a wonderful trip.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

Thank you all so much for your input. I'll be very curious to hear about the experience tripformynana has at the Westin, since it does require less points to book, and that's always good (leaving more points for the next trip!). I do have some time before we need to make our decision since we don't leave for awhile.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

Hillyreps, the point you made regarding the "bang for your buck" is an important one, the less points you need the more you'll have left over.

If you visited in summer I'd probably throw caution to the winds in money matters and stay at the Cipriani with their swimming pool.Otherwise my choice would boil down to either the Westin Europa & Regina or the Gritti both on the Canal Grande (with presumably less point needed for the former).Both have lovely terraces onto the Grand Canal.Of course the Gritti is the grande dame of Venice hotels.

Early October is an excellent time to stay in Venice.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
82 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

Yes, it will be. Unfortunately, we'll only be staying one night since we're actually on a cruise, but we wanted to get in another night there since the ship docks overnight. We were there just before 9/11 (we were in Rome on the terrible day) and loved it....the weather was perfect. But our airline had gone on strike as we landed in Brussels around 7am, and it took all of the travel smarts I had (and lots of luck) to even get us to Venice as soon as I did....which was around 10pm that night. We lost a whole day, and were only left with a day and a half and one night. Fortunately we had hired an expat American living in Venice to show us around the 2nd day. And show us he did...he took us everywhere, and then he invited us to his home later that evening for cocktails. He even set us up with more things to see and do before we left for Rome the next afternoon. It was wonderful. Unfortunately, I've misplaced his name and number, although I do know they were going to move because it was getting so pricey. In any case, thanks for the input. I'll wait to see how the Westin trip turns out for tripformynana, and make a decision then.

BTW, anyone have a good suggestion for a good, moderately priced restaurant? Thanks again, Hilly

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OK...Cipriani, Gritti, Danieli or Westin?

The Danieli is wonderful if you are into history - the lobby and staircase are amazing, and the landings on each floor in the original palace really preserve that historic feel. I've stayed there twice, both times in the original building, and loved opening my windows to hear and see the singing gondoliers going by below. (You would need to use extra points to upgrade for that, though.) However, when we stayed last fall, the hotel was in need of renovation, which I understand has begun, but I'm not sure how far along they are. The location is great - right on the open lagoon and just steps from St. Mark's Square - although that area can be crowded.

We also checked out the public areas of the Westin Europa & Regina. While the Danieli has the history, the great location, and uniqueness, the Westin's public areas were much more elegant than the Danieli. We had to walk through rather deserted,narrow little streets to get to it from the main street, though. You choice may depend both on points and on whether you prefer historical atmosphere to more modern elegance.