We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My March 2009 Itinerary

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
993 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
My March 2009 Itinerary

It is amazing how things change so fast. Just last weekend my husband and I said: We should go to Europe”. I checked our frequent flyer miles, and viola we had enough miles for two tickets to Italy. So now I am very excited. Flight and hotels are booked (feel I got a good deal on them), and now I putting out itinerary together. The only final touches that I need now (unless you feel I left something out) is transportation from/to train/airport. Some of my locations are within walking distance from the train station. I’ve been searching the forums and saving all the tips for transportation/shuttles, so I now need to review them and see what works best for us. But I’ve got 5 months to get that done. Here’s what I have for now. As you will see, we plan on relaxing when we get to Venice!  This is my first trip to Europe so I am little intimidated since I will be in unfamiliar territory, but I’m sure we’ll be fine and will find our way around!

Arrive in Rome 7:55 AM :-)

Rome: 2 nights (Augusta Lucille Palace – total costs for two nights € 190 BF included)

Rome Day One: St. Peter’s (Vatican city), Castel S. Angelo, Piazza Novaona, Pantheon, Piazza di Spagna

Rome Day Two: Colosseum, Fori Imperiali, Roman Forum, Campidoglio, Capitoline Musuems and the Vittoriano

Rome Day Two Evening: Romantic (rooftop if weather permits) dinner near Trevi Fountain/Spanish Steps. After dinner, go for walk and enjoy the scenery of Trevi fountains/Spanish Steps if my feet will allow it.

Train to Florence (Rail Europe – Single Country Italy Saver Pass $177 USD per person)

Florence: 1 Night (Hotel Caravaggio – total cost for 1 night € 65.28 BF included)

Florence Day 1: Half day Chianti wine tasting/tour (€ 40 per person). Dinner at a nice restaurant (will ask concierge for recommendations).

Regarding Florence, there is so much to see and do, however, staying longer would probably frustrate me since the itinerary would be full and rushed. I love wine tasting. So I decided to just scratch the surfice and enjoy Florence by wine tasting. When we return to Italy on a future trip, Florence will definitely get more of our time.

Train to Venice (Rail Europe – Single Country Italy Saver Pass $177 USD per person)

Venice: 4 Nights (Villa Igea – total hotel cost $377.12 USD BF included)

Venice itinerary is completely open! There is a lot to see and do “outside” of the San Marco area. So we plan on buying D&K Venice Top Ten book, and touring the areas at our leisure. While, Rome for the most part seems a bit rushed, the rest of the trip I think we’ll find very relaxing.

Depart from Venice heading back to Detroit. :-(

Am I crazy for thinking I can do all of this?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,057 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My March 2009 Itinerary

Love the enthusiasm, you will do fine you have plenty of time to sort out itinery,

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,926 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My March 2009 Itinerary

Hello,

My first question is have you already bought the rail Pass? I hope not. It is much cheaper to buy point to point tickets. The fare from Rome to florence is 28.90 euros and from Florence to Venice is 25.80. The trip from Venice to Rome is 50.00. This is much cheaper than a rail pass.

Your Rome itinerary sounds good. You might want to book a tour of the vatican museums of see them in the afternoon to avoid the line.

I can't help you with Florence.

Donna

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My March 2009 Itinerary

dbabe No I haven't bought my rail pass yet, but thanks for the tip. I thought the one way would probably be more expensive, so that's why I "was" going to but the pass. However, based on what you have mentioned, I'll take your advice and buy one ways. Can't do that until 60 days prior correct?

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My March 2009 Itinerary

I would rethink your one day/night in Florence & Chianti! It will just be spent in transport and leave you exhausted. Better to spend an additional night in Rome, and take a train straight to Venice. Three nights in Rome would barely scratch the surface. Also, I think your plans in Rome are a little overly ambitious. The first day or two you're going to feel jet-lagged.

If you really want a wine tour, you can get one from Venice that will take you on a local "strada del vino". Just google Venice Wine Tour, and a lot of choices will come up.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: My March 2009 Itinerary

I would agree with Zatara that it might be better to bypass Florence this time as you only have one day there. That day could be added to your time in Rome. Florence is one of my very favourite cities but to me it is not worth a one day visit. Rome has a lot to offer so another day there would be fine and visit Florence on another trip when you could spend four ,five or six days there.

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My March 2009 Itinerary

Thanks for your tips, but I think I will keep it the way that I have it.

If anything, we might scratch a few items off the Rome list. While I do think we have alot planned, we are ones that will scratch a tour off the "to do" list easily if we don't feel it's important to us, or we're just not in the mood once we arrive. As for Rome, Day two is my only must do. Day one can be seen on the next go round visit if need be. I like to aim high, and pinch off later. But Florence, I want to visit even if only for a day. I only plan on drinking good wine anyhow since we're just to doing a wine tour, therefore I can't imagine that being too exhausting, just tipsy maybe. I know other areas offer wine tours, but Chianti offeres the best and that's what we want. But again, thanks for the tips.

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My March 2009 Itinerary

Zatara I google the Venice wine tour but didn't see the one you were referring too. Is there a particular website I need to go to for that specific area in Venice? I would like to look into the Venice wine tours as well just in case as I stated before something changes. Thanks!

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: My March 2009 Itinerary

Here are a few:

http://www.italyandwine.net/venice-tour.htm

http://www.winetoursvenice.com/

cellartours.com/italy/wine-tours/venice-pros…

Rome
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: My March 2009 Itinerary

You can check fares and schedule your trains (also the one from Fiumicino Airport to Rome) here :

www.trenitalia.it

During your stay in Rome you can consider to take the 110 hop on hop off bus, it could help you to visit better the city in such a short time and have a first look at the best sites.

http://www.trambusopen.com/

Regarding your last question: no you're not crazy, you can surely manage all you have plan, use your Venetian days to relax.

Enjoy Italy.

Ciao

Goodyear, Arizona
Level Contributor
993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My March 2009 Itinerary

Thanks for all your help everyone! :-)