We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
19 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

Hi Hi!!

So I'm planning a trip with some friends and somehow due to changes in flight prices and all we're now at a crossroads - should we still go to Venice even if we can only spend 1 1/2 days there(due to budget restrictions) or should we just forgo Venice and just head on to our next destination?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

Hello LizC85.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k11284…

Enjoy!!!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

SOmething is always better than nothing I always say. You will still be able to see a few things as Venice is quite compact- Maybe more wandering rather than seeing ( or trying) to see inside lots of buildings maybe just pick one or 2 and save the rest for next time !!!

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

If that is all the time you can afford for Venice then go for it. If will give you a good idea what Venice is like. Then sometime in the future you can come back for a longer stay. One and a half days in Venice is better than nothing. Go for it.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

Worth it for 1 1/2 days? Worth it for 1 1/2 hours! Twelve years ago my partner and I came on a side-trip from Lake Garda. We stayed 1/2 a day. We now live here. Draw your own conclusions!! ENJOY.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

LizC85,

Here are some suggestions, of which I say you should be able to cover at least 4-5 in your 1 1/2 days:

1. the vaporetto (water bus) ride on the Canal Grande from the Santa Lucia Train station (aka Ferrovia) to San Marco and back. One ride is about 35-40 minutes, waiting time included. This will give you a good opportunity to admire the magnificent palaces on both sides of the Canal. Here is a plan of the water bus lines:

hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/muoversi/index.jsp

Lines 1 and 2 both sail the Canal Grande from Ferrovia all the way down to San Marco. The #2 is faster as it skips some of the stops. I’d vote for the slower #1 – particularly for first time visitors – as it provides such a great opportunity to admire the incredible palazzi on the Canal.

2. the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, take the audio guide (it’s really good). Skip the ground floor hall and go directly to the upper hall which features a unique collection of Tintoretto paintings and an amazing series of allegorical wood sculptures by Francesco Pianta il Giovane. They call it “Tintoretto’s Sistine Chapel”, and not without good reason.

Check it out at:

scuolagrandesanrocco.it/inglese/index_ita.htm

and see the virtual tours as well:

scuolagrandesanrocco.it/inglese/…

3. climb to the top of the Campanile in Piazza San Marco (by elevator, approx Eur 5.00 per person if memory serves). It’s one of the greatest vantage points in Venice and it does not take up a lot of time. Opening hours 9:45-20:00 July-September; try in the late afternoon when the lines are not as long. Interesting photos and reviews at:

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Venet…

4. stroll around e.g. from San Marco to the Rialto, along the Riva dei Schiavoni or around Campo Santa Margherita:

www.pps.org/great_public_spaces/one…

5. the Frari basilica, make sure you do not miss the triptych of the Madonna and Child with SS Nicholas of Bari, Peter, Mark and Benedict by Giovanni Bellini. It is in the altar of the sacristy (at the right hand end of the central nave, facing the main altar).

6. the Scuola Grande di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni (aka the Dalmatian School, just minutes away from San Marco)

Hours: working days 9.00 to 12.00 - 15.00/18.00, closed on Monday

The paintings by Vittore Carpaccio are astounding:

www.wga.hu/frames-e.html…

www.wga.hu/frames-e.html…

For an interactive preview of Venice, try clicking on the different “sestieri” and going through the main attractions list that is displayed:

www.guestinvenice.com/argomento.asp?cat=83

It’s your life, but I’d never consider giving a day and a half there a miss – not as long as I have a pulse.

Kind regards,

P_M

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,254 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

As others have said any time is better than nothing, loads to see in Venice small as it is, pick what interests, but personally above all allow time to wander off the beaten track find the real Venice, so peaceful you would not believe,

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

certainly worth it, I've been there twice for 1 hlf days, just makes you want to go back !!

Jess

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
19 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

oh wow... Thank you all for your suggestions!!

ok.. So my friends and I have worked out a rough sketch of our itinerary and now we've got technically 2 days (1 full day and 2 half days + 2 nights) to spend in Venice!! Not that much more, but like everyone's mentioned. Something's better than nothing, eh?

Thanks especially to:

-PatsyBuenosAires for the link.. got some awesome advice there

-Peregrin_man for all the suggestions, advice and links! Will definitely enjoy going through them to decide how to thoroughly experience Venice within such a short period.

Thanks again for all the replies. Appreciate all of em!!

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

I visited Venice 4 years ago. When I saw the beauty of Venice, tears actually came to my eyes. If you are lucky enough to see Venice, do not pass it up! Enjoy whatever time you have in this beautiful place!

10. Re: 1 1/2 days in Venice - Worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 07:20