We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another idea for islands

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ny
Level Contributor
699 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
another idea for islands

I just found a post from July from Robert. He mentions seeing Murano and Burano on different days. Since we have only Jan 1 and 2 in Venice, perhaps we should see Burano on Jan 1st when there is not too much else specific to do. That would make Jan 2nd with Murano and Doge's Palace less rushed. All comments will be appreciated, thank you!!! As my trip draws closer I can see that I'm going to have all sorts of questions....thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,850 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another idea for islands

you could do that, but you are in Venice 2 days I think there is so much to see in Venice, you just seem to mention the Doges Palace, why all the interest to go to the Islands,

prince william co...
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another idea for islands

I agree. You don't have much time and you're going to be sacrificing seeing a lot of really spectacular thing in Venice (the Frari, the churches, the scuole, etc.) to take these time-consuming trips to Murano and Burano. In my opinion the islands are no where as interesting as Venice itself.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another idea for islands

bcaha,

You should do what you want to do. It is your holiday. Both islands are interesting. Burano takes a little longer to reach than Murano. Check with your hotel about Murano actually having tours of the glass factories on the 1st. They never close down the furnaces..but on January 1st they might not be open for demostrations. Also, check with your hotel. Most of them have a deal with a glass factory and offer free water taxi service to Murano. If you dont buy anything you have to find your way home via public transportation. That said the taxi ride is thrilling and fun and worth the trip!

Burano is charming and has some very good seafood restaurants. Il Gatto Nero being the most famous... again check to see if it is open.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,108 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another idea for islands

sophie, I think the problem is that many things are closed on Jan.1 so not much to do that day.

Burano is small though, and won't take the whole day.

I wonder if the church on Torcello is open that day?Then you could see the oldest church in the lagoon with its mosaics which is a short ride across a small channel from Burano.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: another idea for islands

I agree riffsmom.

The church is outstanding and well worth the short ride.

Happy holidays

agatha

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,850 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another idea for islands

Surely if things are closed in Venice on Jan 1st, it will hardly be any different on the the Islands,

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: another idea for islands

Of course it is different. The islands do not have many museums which will be closed on January 1st in Venice. the islands have good resturants, places to walk to enjoy the views and churches which will probably be open. Torcello has Locanda Cipriani well worth the long boat ride to reach the island. They are closed from 5 Jan until 5 Feb.,, and also on Tuesdays.

On Burano.. Al Gatto Nero is closed from 15 until 31 Jan., and Mondays.

Ai Frati on Murano is closed 15 days in Feb., and Thursdays.

I would go to Murano and hopefully the glass factories will be open. Then I would have lunch and go on to Burano and look around and then go to Torcello and see the church and have dinner at Locanda Cipriani.

Then you can sight see to your hearts content on the 2ned in Venice.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,850 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: another idea for islands

I am sorry I disagree Venice is not just Museums it too has good Restaurants, and anything that the Islands have,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: another idea for islands

I think the church of Santa Maria Assunta on Torcello and the church of Santi Maria e Donato on Murano are two of the finest buildings in all the lagoon.

I also think that if you only have the 1st and 2nd of January in Venice (ridiculously short time for one of the finest cities in the world, a superb World Heritage Site) you would be well advised to concentrate in your very short visit on the main city and not get diverted into voyages around the lagoon, owever interesting they may be.

New Year's Day is a public holiday which means that banks, post offices and civic buildings will be closed but there is still a lot to see. Simple things such as a voyage the lenth of the Grand canal from Piazzale Roma down to San Zaccaria or even over to the Lido in a No. 1 water bus (tickets 6.50 euros) will enable you to see the great Palazzi which line the Grand Canal. This is bets done from one of the few outide seats in the bows or the stern as the views from inside the cabins are limited.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: another idea for islands

Hello Robert"

I think the OP should do what they want to do it is their holiday. Perhaps their wish is to visit the islands. We should not impose our likes and dislikes on others. You, as usual, give very good suggestions as to the fine chruches on Murano and Torcello. I agree they should not be missed!

Hope you and Mrs. Robert are well and not snowed in with the terrible weather in the UK.

warmest reagrds,

Agatha