We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice questions

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Venice questions

hi,

i've had some great help from everyone on trip advisor but have a few more questions...

1) Still debating over which hotel to stay in & wondering what area is nicer - Cannaregio (La Forcola Hotel / Arcadia Hotel) or a hotel 5 min from Piazza roma(Hotel Gardena)... which is better perhaps for location? dont mind being slightly out of the centre esp if we get to experience the culture.

2) heard eating out in venice can be costly so can you recommend what area is best to go for cheaper dining?

Thanks,

Els

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,146 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice questions

You can find reasonably priced restaurants in every area AWAY from San Marco square.

I like the location of La Forcola at the edge of Cannarregio next to the area of Castello.

There are lots of little restaurants that are reasonable there and you can walk everywhere easily.

I also like the last hotel's location,Hotel Gardena, although I have not stayed there.I think sophie the Venice expert has stayed nearby so perhaps she will answer your question too.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice questions

I cannot help about your two Hotels as I mostly stay in Dorsoduro these days. However location is not very important in Venice as the whole city is readily walkable and the water bus transport system is also very efficient and if you buy a period pass not too expensive.

Have you checked the User reports on the Tripadvisor Venice Hotels list?

For affordable eating I like Taverna San Trovaso on Fondamenta Priuli in Dorsoduro. Their pizzas are especially good value I think. There are also several cafes and bars around Campo Santa Margherita which have reasonable prices as there is a big student population around this Campo because of the nearby University. For a light lunch I use the bar ai Do Draghi which is in Calle della Chiesa just leading off Campo Santa Margherita towards San Pantalon though theri tables are actually round the corner in the Campo.

Another good place for lunch or an ealry dinner is Osteria Al Vecchio Forner in Campo San Vio in Dorsoduro which has a good selection of cichetti and lots of filled sandwiches plus one or two hot dishes.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,120 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice questions

I know of the Gardena, near piazzale Roma, personally an area I am happy with, but location in Venice is ot really a problem, it's not a big City,

London
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice questions

Thanks for the info. we'll decide & book soon...

re cost of dinner what is "reasonable" for venice. for a basic meal without wine what are we looking at so we can get a heads up?

Thanks,

Els

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice questions

Meals - depends what you want. A pizza should cost 7 to 10 euros in my experience. A full 3 course meal without wine could range from 30 euros upwards - a lot upwards in more upmarket places.

Remember you will invariably have "Pane e Coperto" to pay, this is usual anyhting form 1 to 5 euros per head. Some places then also make a service charge on top of everything else and this can be 10 to 15%. Always check in the menus which are displayed outside before you enter to see exactly what you are going to be charged.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,146 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice questions

House wine is not expensive so that doesn't really add much to the meal cost.

Everyone has a different idea of "reasonable". I have paid 20euro for soup+pasta course +wine& water.

I have paid about 30-40for first course salad +main course+dessert and wine etc. I thought those prices were "reasonable" for 1 person and delicious food.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice questions

That is true in some restaurants,some meals are worth 40 euros per person but you have to know wich are those restaurants and that's why trip advisor's reviews are so good at.

In our first trip to Venice(before i knew of trip advisor) we ate in what looked like a very charming little restaurant with home cook meals,the woman was very friendly and even speak our mother language.

Well we paid too much for the worst meal i've ever had.But at least the service was good.

But that was also the last time we just stop by a "restaurant"in Venice without asking if the food was good.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,146 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice questions

Els,once you decide on your hotel we can give you restaurant suggestions or you can put restaurant in the search box(GO box above) and you will find previous discussions on this topic. I have found these discussions with the "regulars" I have met on this forum to be even more helpful than the reviews.

As I could explain what type of restaurant would make me happy and they could give me specific suggestions.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,146 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice questions

Sorry, Forgot to add that Dopus is right. It is best not to just stop in ANY restaurant without doing research.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice questions

That is true about the reviews, i meant both.In a forum like this one,you get different reactions and suggestions to choose from,i have noticed.The forums are also more sincere and specific.On my trip to Madrid i did a hotel and restaurant research on both(forum and reviews)and i got a lot of reactions that proved to be really great!