We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

Ok, So I've been researching these two places... at first I fell in love with Sandra B & B. I love how its quiet, and there are only 2 rooms. Its a true "hole in the wall." I also love the private rooftop terrace that is off of the attic room....

Then I noticed that Locanda Orseolo was the #1 rated B&B with like over 800 5 star ratings on trip advisor. It is also beautiful, and I'm sure unique in its own way, although it does not have the private outdoor terrace.

If the price difference was not an issue, or only a slight issue... which one would you choose?

THANKS GUYS :-)

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

You no doubt have read on this forum how much I enjoyed our stay at B&B Sandra. Not having been to Locanda Orseolo, I cannot comment from personal experience. Each is probably special in its own way. I've read so many good things about Locanda Orseolo; never anything negative - only how wonderful it was! There is quite a cost difference. If money were not an issue, even though I laud Sandra's B&B, I think I would give Orseolo a try. So many people can't be wrong. But, given our circumstances, when we return to Venice (notice I say when, not if), I would hope to get reservations with Leonardo and Sandra.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,247 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

Although Locanda Orseolo is in a quiet Location, it is in the heart of San Marco, a very busy , touristy area, the Sandra in a authenticly Venetian location in Cannaregio, they both are really highly rated, I think i9t would be down to area of Venice you want to stay,

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

Just to try to even up the argument.

If you want lots of opportunities to see St Mark's Piazza early and late when it is almost empty then it's the Locanda, if you want to be able to pop out for a stroll around the Piazza before bed, it's the Locanda and if you want to feel you are right in the heart of Venice then it's the Locanda. And while all the tourists are pouring into San Marco during the day, you can go in the opposite direction to explore the other parts of Venice.

Contrary to what some people think, "real Venetians" actually live here too - you'll see family washing hanging on the adjacent building.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

Thanks Guys! I was hoping the price would even out because Locana Orseolo advertised a promototion of "buy 3 nights get the 4th free" but when I contacted them, they said no more rooms on that promotion are being booked in September :-(

Hopefully B&B Sandra will have the attic room available!

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

I've given my reply some more thought....It would be hard for me to give up the rooftop terrace. When I think about it, after hours of sightseeing, it was amazing sit on the altana, sipping wine, and enjoying the rooftops and canal traffic. Very relaxing and therapeutic. When you are at Sandra's, it's as if you are in her home. As her website states, she thinks of those who are staying with her as her guests. It's not like a business, rather she opens up her home for enjoyment of others. She and Leonardo are available for questions and directions; but they do it in a very subtle way.

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

We are returning to Venice in October, it will be our 4th stay at the L.O. in as many years. While very close to San Marco, it is located in the quietest of campos. It is a matter of "each to his or her own" in preference, I would guess.

We are made to feel like family, and even have an e-mail friendship that only gets sweeter with years. The rooms are beautifully decorated, and the amenities (robe, slippers, and all the bath/vanity "stuff") are the little extras that make you feel like you are a most important guest. Much has been said about Barbara's wonderful breakfasts, especially the crepes, and the gracious care the staff (Gigi, Bruno, Igor, and Alex) gives.

Afternoons, we sit in the drawing room, with the canal/taxi window open wide and have spritz as we watch the gondolas float by. If you would like to experience a terrace moment, you would likely be welcome at the "sister" property quite near the Rialto bridge (Al Ponte Antico) Matteo (Barbara's husband) runs this beautiful newer property.

We wouldn't stay anyplace else, and eagerly await our October trip.

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

Orseolo sounds so wonderful. Just wish I could stay at both places at the same time! As much as I would like to try it, as my husband always says, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it!" So I think I will have to stay with what I know - -

Don't we just get great input on this forum?

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

Thanks Everyone! I appreciate it!

9. Re: Sandra Bed & Breakfast vs. Locanda Orseolo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 18:16