We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

A question for everyone.... We are going to England, Paris and Venice this September, and with the current exchange rate I am considering going ahead and exchanging my money now (Some into traveler's checks for the hotels & apts) and some into cash.

What do you guys think??

niagara
Level Contributor
443 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

Skip the traveller's checks. Remember there are lots of ATMs in Europe.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,415 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

Who knows what the exchange rate will be next week, let alone next September? Whatever you choose to do it will be a bit of a gamble.

For my part (I am off to Venice at the end of May)I intend to take my cards and use them in the many ATMs inside or immediately outside many banks. I still have about 100 euros left over from our last trip and will take them with us for expenses immediately after we land and before it is convenient to go to an ATM.

Just make sure you let your card issuer know you are going to Europe and intend to use the cards in several countries. Also that your PINs are 4 figure numbers.

Traveller's checks can be expensive to cash in Hotels who tend to charge high commissions. I have not used them for at least the past 10 years.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,842 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

Travellers cheques are really not used these days, you can get good rates from ATM's, exchange rates then aanyones guess,

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

The exchange rate is always changing so there is no way to know if it's going to be high or low in September. No one uses traveler's checks any more. I always find it easier to pay my hotel bills with my credit card (unless you have to pay in cash for the hotels and apartments you're staying in) ATM machines are so readily available everywhere and easy to use.

I also make sure I do have some euros to begin a trip with but then rely on withdrawing money from ATM machines.

Always make sure you notify your bank/credit card company in advance and get a telephone number to call just in case they do block your card.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

my experience is that apartments will not take anything but cash you should check before you leave so you know...also very few if any hotels or anyplace for that matter takes travelers checks as many people have already pointed out....

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice!

Don't you get charged fees for using the ATMs I was thinking it would be better to exchange it here, then travel with it (split between my husband and I) in money belts under our clothes.... is this a bad idea?

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the advice!

Don't you get charged fees for using the ATMs? I was thinking it would be better to exchange it here, then travel with it (split between my husband and I) in money belts under our clothes.... is this a bad idea?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,415 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

Yes, you have expenses whichever way you exchange money. On the whole I find ATMs the most economical and convenient.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
108 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

Gotcha, Thanks!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Change my US $ into Euros and Pounds now for trip in Sept?

In the end you really have to do what you feel most comfortable doing. You can check with your bank to see what they would charge (I have Bank of America and Sun Trust checking accounts and they both charge a $5 fee each time I use an ATM in Italy) I don't like traveling with a lot of cash on me (even though I have used money belts in the past)and usually only use the ATM twice on my trips - so for me $10 is worth it for the convenience of using an ATM like I would at home!