We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smelly canals

Miami
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Topic
Smelly canals

I have heard that depending the time of year the canals could be smelly, I planning to go for my first time and will like it to be as perfect as possible. If this is true, could someone advise?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smelly canals

We just returned from Venice a few weeks back and we didn't smell anything bad. If you are in the smaller canals maybe you get an odor but nothing unbearable. We were there in July and it was hot. I thought it would be very smelly too but thank God it wasn't. It was dirty and the Rialto bridge was very dissappointing. There was so much garbage I could not believe that such a landmark could be so dirty. Other than that the city was great, Piazza San Marco was awesome. There was music playing all day and night very romantic. We took a gondola ride it was nice but too expensive for my pocket. It cost 100 Euros for like a 15-20 min ride. Enjoy you will like it. Dont miss Murano is a lot less crowded and very nice.

Paris (20th)
Level Contributor
842 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Smelly canals

I suggest that you do a quick serach of theis forum and you will come up with a nymber of other times this question has been asked.

Essentially it's like this - Venice is in the middle of the sea, if the water is very low and seaweed/algae is exposed, if a particular canal is being cleaned the mud/sludge is exposed. IN this case you will get a waft of marine type scent. It is not as if the whole city is a stiking cesspit.

Looking at the other forums you have visited I'd say Venice is no worse or better than any of the other cities. There are side streets in Paris where I have to hold my breathe, Barcelona too. Would I be right in guessing there are some parts of Miami where you may get a wiff of stale, ahem, urine ? It's the same in any big city. As I say search this forum for 'stink' or 'smell' and you'll be reassured I'm sure.

Paris (20th)
Level Contributor
842 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smelly canals

travelkids - there is a market by the Rialto bridge, was the garbage the leftovers from that before the cleaners had got there ?

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
381 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smelly canals

Just got back from Venice a few days ago. We did not notice any smell. Our hotel faced the Grand Canal.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
310 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smelly canals

We returned from Venice on Aug 12 and did not notice any smell.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
265 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smelly canals

You can have some when the water in the canals is very low ..nothing unberable.. there are more chance to have some smell in summer

England
Level Contributor
340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smelly canals

Just got back from VEnice, late August, - didn't notice anything smelly and I certainly didn't see any rubbish around the Rialto bridge - just a lot of souvenir shops. Gondala ride - we asked several gondoliers - and they were all asking 80 Euros - eventually took one and got 25 minute ride. OK, it's a bit steep, but it's a unique experience!

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smelly canals

We just returned from Venice and did our research before hiring a gondolier. Gondoliers are regulated, and there is a standard rate for a ride; however, many may try and charge extra. Information regarding standard gondolier rates can be found in the Italy for Dummies book (which lists a website that can be used for accessing the most up to date rate information.) We paid 80 euro for 4 and had a 40 minute ride. We suggest hiring a gondolier along the Grand Canal by San Marco, whose routes generally weave through the smaller, nearby canals, and bring you past Rialto bridge. Our gondolier, Danielio, was absolutely wonderful, and the experience was worth every cent.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,790 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smelly canals

The reputation of Venice for "smelly"canals is greatly exaggerated. Very occasionally in very hot weather there are smells reminiscent of the sea-side when the very small tide comes in. I have never smelt anything hinting of sewage - the Venetian sewage system is pretty efficient!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smelly canals

I was there in August and before I went I also asked on here if the canals were smelly.

They dont smell!

I love the colour of the water its a beautiful blue I expected it to be brown or something but its lovely even when the tide is low it doesnt smell. In some places there was a little rubbish floating around but in any city you would find rubbish in the odd place.