We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hours to see Saint Mark's?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
191 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Hours to see Saint Mark's?

Hello..

My husband and I are arriving in Venice in the late afternoon in a few weeks. Unfortunately, we only have about 36 hours in Venice.

We are planning on taking a Doge's Palace tour during the morning of our second day.

I am wondering if it might be nice to see Saint Marks as the day draws to a close on our first day. That way we can enjoy the square with less people, etc.

My question is this...does anyone know the hours at St. Marks? We'd like to tour and then sit outside and listen to the music and people watch.

Also...any suggestions on where to go to people watch and listen to the dueling orchestras?

Thanks so much for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
21,642 Reviews
Venice, Italy
UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hours to see Saint Mark's?

Hi willowcrown,

When we visited Venice in early June, we sat in St. Mark's square listening to the music until midnight, and only then we left because we had to get up reasonably early. It still carried on. So I hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
30,761 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
191 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hours to see Saint Mark's?

I mean to ask specifically...What time is the last tour of St. Marks? (Inside the basillica)

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hours to see Saint Mark's?

St Marks is open 09.30 to 17.30 Monday to Saturday and 14.00 to 17.30 on Sundays - the hours shorten during the winter. I would aim to get into St Marks early rather than later in the day. The claimed restrictions on the time you can spent there are not applied - there are plenty of corners and out of the way areas to get out of the way of the main flow of visitors and although photography is banned, a pair of binoculars is well worth it for the detail of the ceiling mosaics. Also, the Museo Marciana is well worth the climb - the stairs are on the right inside the main entrance - not only will you see the original horses and also the mosaics from a different angle, but there is the view out across the square which is one of great views of Venice. And try to see the Palo d'Oro - the great high altarpiece - an extra charge is made for this and there may be a queue but go for it!

Experience suggests that the only time that the Square becomes really empty is around 06.00 - and in May at that time the light is wonderful! But so far as you're concerned, the square will be busy from around 09.00 through to midnight plus - depending on the weather - and it's part of the fun to watch the crowds milling about. Some trick of the accoustics in the Square means that if you're in one cafe, the sound of the orchestra in the other doesn't seriously affect you. The advice is to choose your cafe, by a drink and enjoy the atmosphere - although drinks are not cheap and you will be charged for the music as well.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy