We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere special please

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere special please

I am looking @ the Gritti Palace, the Danieli, the Bauer Il Palazzo and the San Clemente Palace and having read most of the reports on T.A. I really cannot make up my mind and would be so grateful for any advice.

The priority really is the service of the hotel staff as all of the hotels come with an excellent reputation, but I have been a little concerned by reports of bad or indifferent service in one or two instances.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,457 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere special please

Venice is a major tourist destination. As a result, all the hotels could fill their rooms three or four times over. Some of them just do not care whether their guests are properly treated. Oddly, it seems to be the expensive ones that get complained about, but this may only be because the guests there have higher expectations.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,683 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere special please

The only one my wife and I have stayed in is the Gritti Palace a few years ago. Very luxurious but also very expensive so it all depends on how special the occasion.

Certainly excellent location, great views from the bar and dining room across the Grand Canal. Bedrooms with Grand Canal view carry a substantial premium over the already high prices. Staff I found very charming and helpful even though there were several well known faces amongst the guests whilst retired University professors would very lowly in comparison.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere special please

Sydney, thank you for your quick reply. I totally agree with you about higher expectations, but I remain hopeful that I will make the right choice with the help of the forum. Although, at the end of the day I may have to just accept that I have to grit my teeth and pay the upgrade for the Cipriani where I know I will get the service I am looking for.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere special please

Robert, your post came in as I was replying to Sydney, thank you. The Gritti Palace is the hotel for which I am hoping to receive the most positive responses; your trip sounded lovely. I shall keep my fingers crossed for more responses. Many thanks.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere special please

We are going to Venice with friends in May and staying in the Danieli. Apparently Sean Connory stays in the Danieli, along with Sophia Loren and Liza Minelli when they are in Venice - so if it's good enough for 'James Bond' it's good enough for us!!!

Hope this helps!!!!

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere special please

MagsGhirl, thank you for your reply. It is always useful to know that people who have no financial constraints on their choice of hotel have chosen a particular hotel, in this case The Danieli.

Having had many holidays in hotels where film stars are regular visitors it always concerns us, that with a few exceptions,the level of service diminishes when these celebrities are in residence, as the staff are always focusing on them and not their other clients. Have a wonderful holiday and we may be @ The Danieli in May as at the moment I cannot make up my mind between The Gritti Palace and The Danieli. Many thanks.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere special please

I stayed at the Gritti Palace decades ago when I was an impecunious student and was treated like a princess. But it was a CIGA hotel then, and I suspect staff attitudes have changed - not for the better - since it became a Starwood.

I have seen reports that the Danieli caters to groups, high-end groups but groups nonetheless.

I would choose the Gritti Palace for its location and its smaller size.

venezia
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere special please

Go with Bauer il Palazzo. The property is very attamptive to the service they provide, the Chief Concierge, Paolo, is absolutely great and I also suggest you to contact them in advance, asking for the Quality Manager, Mr Federici, and you will not be disappointed! Their restaurant is one of the best in town and if go in summer you will seat outside!

Enjoy your stay

Locarno
Level Contributor
658 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Somewhere special please

They are all very good hotels. I have always thought that the best was the Cipriani (where often the actors stay during the movie festival), but I have not personal experience.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Somewhere special please

Zerlina, Venice Concierge and Gaia 606, thank you all for your replies.

Now I have a dilemma; which one to choose, which was why I posted this query in the first place. I am delighted that you all have such positive responses to your favourite hotels and I guess in the end it will come down to which one has the right accommodation on the dates that I need.

I very much appreciate your responses thank you all.