We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An even shorter list of places to eat...

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
906 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
An even shorter list of places to eat...

Jumping onto Mr. Luckybluesman's thread--we, too, will be in Venice several days in August. Also plan to mostly wander, with dogeared copies of Chow Venice and Venice Osterie in my bag (thanks for the suggestions TA folk), and pop into whatever recommended places are near to where we are when we're hungry. (Interestingly enough, there is not a lot of overlap between the two books. So lots of restaurant options)

But on our first night, we would like to pre-arrange a reservation. (I am practicing my tourist Italian for that dreaded phone call to make before we leave!) We are a family of 4 (with 2 teens) with fairly broad food tastes. We would like a recommendation for that ONE quintessential Venetian restaurant (or trattoria or osteria) that is charming and in a charming location, has an outdoor eating option, friendly service, lovely food, and nice wine. Moderate to moderately expensive, according to the restaurant guides, would be our limit (though remember we are paying for 4!) We'll be tired, but would like a memorable experience.

La Zucca? Taverna San Trovaso? Al Paradiso? Al Ponte? Il Refolo? Algiubagio? La Bitta?

My head spins! I obviously need a month in Venice. But can you help me choose for one night? Grazie mille!

PS-what kind of helps is that we're looking for a Sunday night, so that does limit our choices considerably

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,988 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An even shorter list of places to eat...

Now with those 2 book's you should not need ask, I would say for conveniece one near where you are staying,

Seattle
Level Contributor
906 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An even shorter list of places to eat...

It is more of a problem of deciding between sooo many wonderful options as knowing where to go! Like a kid in a candy store--and I can only choose one thing. Maybe I just close my eyes, rifle through the book and pick blindly!

Our hotel is very central (Becher), and we view the "getting there" (wherever "there" is) as part of the package. So don't mind if we end up at one end of Venice or the other. Just gives us a way to work up an appetite and a nice walk home at the end of the meal.

So Ms. Sophie, ...your favorite place for a nice family dinner? ;-)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,988 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An even shorter list of places to eat...

I for would say something basic like Taverna San Trovaso, good food,good atmosphere, and good value,

but just a personnal choice,

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: An even shorter list of places to eat...

Taverna San Trovaso is a great choice but I also think that La Zucca fits the bill - especially if you reserve one of the outside tables. The restaurant borders on a little canal close to San Giacomo square and it's in an area you might not otherwise find yourself in. Website: http://www.lazucca.it/index.htm. I found the waiters to be very helpful in explaining anything on the menu and the food was fantastic.

With choices from Chow Venice (which I also have) and Venice Osteria you really can't go wrong!

Seattle
Level Contributor
906 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An even shorter list of places to eat...

Well, my Sunday night issue is rearing it's ugly head. LaZucca (thanks for the web link) is closed on Sunday. We'll just have to try them on another day. Can't tell about Taverna San Trovaso as they don't list their open/closed times on their website, so I'll email them. Also looking at Enoiteca la Mascareta. Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks for the suggestions. (I'm getting hungry)

Sarah

PS--one more question: my son says he'll try most anything BUT does not want to be presented with a whole baby octopus on his plate (though he loves calamari). I guess a friend told him how that happened to him. So how do we say "no whole octopus please" in italiano???

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An even shorter list of places to eat...

Taverna San Trovaso does not have an outside option and the food is rather basic. You could try Taverna La Fenice or Rosa Rossa.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,988 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An even shorter list of places to eat...

Taverna San Trovaso is open on Sunday's

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,465 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An even shorter list of places to eat...

Taverna San Trovaso has no facilities for eating outdoors. Alla Zucca has but limited seating outdoors so must book.

al Ponte I think of more as a bar with some food than a trattoria.

Il Refolo my wife and I went to and read the menu and decided not to enter.

La Bitta I think is good food but the room a little cramped

Al Paradiso and Albgiubagio I have not eaten at either.

One I do like which has outdoor seating along the banks of the San Vio Canal is Cantinone Storico, Fondamenta Bragadin, Dorsoduro. Not outrageously expensive and very good with youngsters when I have taken my grandchildren there.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,988 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An even shorter list of places to eat...

il refolo, Santa Croce 1459 (near La Zucca) which Robert j mentions is one of the best Canal side locations I know,

Seattle
Level Contributor
906 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An even shorter list of places to eat...

Thank you all for your replies. I do understand that restaurant choices are a personal decision, but I guess that is what I was looking for--the personal recommendation.

LaRosaRossa is very close to our hotel, so that might be a nice choice if we don't want to walk so much (same with Taverna LaFenice). I was thinking of Algiubagio because of the location--sounds good, but never having been to Venice, I guess I really don't know. We could end up with a cruise ship tied right in front of our faces, as far as I know. Al Paradiso showed up highly ranked on a forum "best Venetian restaurant poll" but I couldn't find any reviews of it anywhere. Finally tried just "Paradiso" today and found a couple of good reviews, but it is interesting the gap between what people recommend on the forum pages and what gets posted on the review pages.

Cantinone Storica is another that I had seen in the books I have. Good to know it offers outdoor seating and friendly service. I'll check on whether open on a Sunday.

So again, many, many thanks!

S