We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sweden
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

I would appreciate any first hand information and suggestions for the best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica. It is opening between 9.45 - 16.45 (Maybe not on Sunday). I am thinking about booking a 9:45 time on a Wednesday (Aug. 5th).

I have found a site which will allow me to book my visit to S. Mark's Basilica in advance. http://www.alata.it/eng/booking/sanmarco.asp

I have read somewhere that there are some lights inside the Basilica that are only turned on for a couple of hours a day. This report said it is the best time to visit, because when the lights are off you cannot really see everything. Unfortunatly I cannot find the details of this report.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,467 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

In the past (I have not been in for several years) I have found only a very small queue to enter San Marco at 9.45 a.m. when it opens to the public. It is open earlier for worshippers. Entrance to the basilica is free but a lot of the rest - the Chancel, the Loggia, the treadury etc. carries individual entrance charges.

Once the day visitors have travelled down from Santa Lucia or Piazzale Roma to San Marco it quickly builds up.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

Be aware that, with or without a booking, a tourist visit to St. Mark's Basilica is a forced march along a predetermined route. Buying tickets will get you in to see the Pala d'Oro behind the main altar and up to the Gallery.

You always ask for first-hand informstion. I do not have "first-hand information" about this, but St. Mark's Basilica offers a guided tour at 11 am every day except Sunday. Since the purpose of the tour is to explain the mosaics, I would assume (sorry, no first-hand information) that the tour is offered at a time when the mosaics are lit.

basilicasanmarco.it/eng/…

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

The mosaics should lit everyday between 11:30 -12:30 that is the best time to go....this is from personal experience...

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

It is possible it is from 11-12 but i have always gone at 11:30....and have not had a problem..

London, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

I second the idea of planning your visit around 11:30am. They only light the ceilings for an hour a day for visitors. The rest of the time, you cannot see much of the detail of the amazing mosaics.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,178 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

It is my understanding, and I will check it in a week, that by turning up for a tour at the atrium on the right hand side of the main door at 11am you can have a guided tour of St Marks, for free with explanations of the mosaics.

basilicasanmarco.it/eng/…

I would expect, while there, that the lights would come on.

Sweden
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

Perfect, this is exactly what I needed to enjoy my first visit to S. Mark's. I will reserve a time at 11:30 to take advantage of the lighting and again later in the week at 9:45 to avoid some of the crowd. Thanks so much for all your help. Again. Lee

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

Is this 11 tour in English?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,178 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

I think there are a number of tours conducted by volunteers in several languages, see this website

www.veneziaupt.org/index.php?page=146&lang=en

It is not necessary to book unless you are a group.

Delta, BC
Level Contributor
705 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit S. Mark's Basilica

There is only 2 of us, my husband and myself and we will be in Venice Sept 16th for 2 nights. If we show up at 11 am at S.Mark's Basilica will we be in a long line up to get in ? To avoid any line up I would prefer to reserve a time.

Also there is mentioned that some areas you pay to see, which is fine, but would you pay for the reservation and that would include the other sights to see ??

Look forward to any further clarification. thanks