We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

Sweden
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

One of our favorites is Leonard Cohen and he will be at St. Mark's for a concert on Aug. 3rd, the day we arrive in Venice. We don't want to try to fight the crowds at the square. Good tickets are between 200 and 350 euros for 2, too much for us on this trip. Is there a good place for us to hear the concert without actually seeing it?

Is there a place along the canal in Dorsodura where we could get a table and have some wine or maybe even dinner at 9:30pm? Is some place where we could just sit and listen? Is there a hotel with a bar high enough for us to both see the square and hear the concert? Could we hear the concert from behind the square in Castello?

Anyway you get the idea. Thanks in advance for any tips you might give us. Lee

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

Montreal's favorite son!

I haven't been to Venice since the concerts in Piazza San Marco have become a regular thing, so I'm afraid I have no idea where the non-paying public is or is not allowed to gather. There are a number of hotels with roof terraces near Piazza San Marco, but I'm not sure any of them have sight lines to the Piazza. And at the Danieli, for one, you'd psy more for dinner than for tickets to the concert. You could use maps.google.com to locate hotels near the piazza and check their Web sites to see if they have roof terraces. If you find one, you'd probably have to grease the concierge's palm to sit on the terrace during the concert. I don't think you'd hear much from Dorsoduro; Leonard Cohen is not a high-decibel rock band, as you know.

It's really rather sad that he's had to take up touring again in his 70s because his American agent robbed him blind while he was in retreat at a Buddhist monastery.

I've been following the tour fairly closely in the press and on the Internet. He plays a very generous set list that doesn't seem to vary too much from place to place. If push comes to shove, his London concert has been recorded and released as a CD.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,064 Reviews
Venice, Italy
London
London
England, UK
Surrey
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

Luckybluesman - I was at the Leonard Cohen concert in Weybridge two weeks ago and am gutted that I can't get to Venice to see him again. The concert is outstanding - it has garnered five star reviews everywhere it plays. I don't understand Zerlina's comments about it being a shame Cohen has had to tour. He began to tour last year (yes for financial reasons) and it was such a huge critical and popular success, the tour has continued this year. He takes visible pleasure in his live performance, as do his masterful co-musicians, and spreads joy to his audience, both old and young. Don't feel sorry for him having to tour in his 70s. Yes, he's 74 but seems decades younger and he sang for three hours, including returning for two encores.

Luckybluesman - I can't help you with a place to find a table, anywhere very close is going to be charging extra for the event. You could try just standing nearby although Venice's tall buildings do block out sound quickly. You could also try the Leonard Cohen website forum in case anyone has tickets to sell. There is a Venice meet-up arranged on the forum for fans. As I said, I cannot recommend the concert highly enough. At the Weybridge concert, which was in the open-air, it poured with rain, but nobody noticed!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sweden
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

I have listened to some of the music and will get the latest CD. I did not realize he was 70 and had no idea he was treated so badly by his agent. He has provided hundreds of hours of pleasure throughout my life so maybe I should simply pop for the tickets. Thanks so much for you insite. Lee

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

I agree that Leonard Cohen is an extremely generous and gracious performer. I never suggested otherwise; in fact, I mentioned his long set lists.

But do you think he would have taken up touring again if he had not had to for financial reasons?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,717 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

We are in Venice now. The stage is set up at the far end of the long axis of St Marks,near museum Correr so that the Basilica is at the non-stage end of the rectangle. I don't think you would hear a thing in Dorsoduro it is the wrong direction and protected by the buildings on the south of the square. You just might hear something in Castello or on the Riva degli Schiavoni, you and the thousands of others who want to hear. Venice is very crowded. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,064 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

I have friends who have gone to concerts at the sq without getting tickets by reserving at one of the cafe's in the sq...it cost them €60 per person and included 2 drinks or 2 items drink plus gelato but i do not know which one nor are they here to ask...but maybe you can have your hotel check it out...it would be one of the cafes on the sq ie florians, quadri...etc etc...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
586 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

somehow I know you'll figure it out! good luck...

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

Zerlina, I have no idea whether or not he would have taken up touring if the situation had been different, but I think both for him and for us, it has turned out to be a wonderful thing. He's discovered an adoring world-wide audience he didn't know he had and we've witnessed a musical tour-de-force. The tour has just been extended again in the US so it seems he doesn't want to quit.

Luckybluesman - if you possibly can, go for those tickets. You won't regret it. He sings many of the old ones - Famous Blue Raincoat, Suzanne, So Long Marianne, Hallelujah, Bird on a Wire - and newer ones, Dance Me to the End of Love, Closing Time. And all done with so much grace, style and harmony. And that voice -it seems better than ever. Check out the reviews at Liverpool, Dublin and Belfast in the last two weeks. I am green with envy!

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Sweden
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

This has been my favorite thread. I went to the site to purchace tickets and could not pull the trigger. It is just too much money on top of the cost of the vacation. Thanks to all of you so much for your replys. I am sure I will regret not buying the tickets. How cool to find so many fans here at TA. Just one additional note. I did not find any comments here to be out of line. You are all obviously big fans. Maybe I'll hide in the bell tower. LOL Lee

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leonard Cohen at St. Mark's

"So we struggle and we stagger

down the snakes and up the ladder

to the tower where the blessed hours chime."

Closing Time - L. Cohen