We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gondola ride

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
gondola ride

Any idea what a gondola ride is going for now a days? I'll be in Venice in early November.

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
591 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gondola ride

In August the average rate was in the 80 to 100 Euro range for a 30-45 minute ride.

Took my wife 15 years to convince me to do it, but it was worth every penny.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gondola ride

www.gondolavenezia.it (also in English) has lots of info as well as the official rates -- at the moment, 62 euro for a 50 minute ride.

Note that you can cross the grand canal in several points (marked with a "traghetto" sign) on a gondola for 50 cents per person, one way.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gondola ride

www.gondolavenezia.it (also in English) has lots of info as well as the official rates -- at the moment, 62 euro for a 50 minute ride.

Note that you can cross the grand canal in several points (marked with a "traghetto" sign) on a gondola for 50 cents per person, one way.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gondola ride

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gondola ride

I just returned from Venice on the weekend and we were quoted 120 euros. We didnt accept and they offered for us to haggle. Would suggest car pooling if possible.

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
145 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gondola ride

Suzywong - can you check out whether they have secret meters on board so we can cut the cost?!!!!!!!!

Madrid
Level Contributor
290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gondola ride

Better than a "tassametro" :P, you should take a look at your watch, as many times for a gondolier 35 minutes are 50.

Gondoliers are easier to bargain, as there are not rows of tourists longing for a ride, so is easy to get "legal rates" and have a good "giro" of 50 minutes for 60-70 euro, even in the evening.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: gondola ride

we just took a gondola ride on Sunday night around 8:00 (already dark) and we paid 100 Euro. We were told by the hotel concierge that that would be the price after dark.

Madrid
Level Contributor
290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gondola ride

Haggle as you can :) We were asked 150 euro for a 50 minutes ride on Fondamenta della Canonica (just behind the Ponte dei Sospiri), and we bargained for 70 € at 20:30h on September 1st 2005, not a Sunday, but there was no more people wanting to have a ride, and there was 5 gondolas stopped, so, i think they were more flexible.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
93 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gondola ride

I was there last November and paid 80E for 35 minutes at sunset. I suspect I overpaid by perhaps as much as 20E, but I felt bargaining would have detracted from the romance for my wife.