We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

Malaysia
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

Hi Experts and Opera Buffs,

I am planning to attend my first opera in Venice. I am eyeing between La Traviata - Scuola Grande dei Carmini or Music At Palace: La Traviata - Palazzo Barbarigo- Minotto, given that they're available during the dates I'm there: 17-18 Sept 09 and La Traviata is one of the more famous ones (I believe).

I cannot find information on how long either of them will be and which are better...

What are the differences? Quite clueless here...

Meanwhile, I'll try to read up on it so that I won't be so lost (I am Italian- illiterate ...)

Please advice, all.

Many thanks in advance!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,301 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

I can only tell you about Musica Palazzo where I too heard La Traviata. I thought is was a wonderful experience. You are made to feel like you are part of the production. Each of the acts are done in a different room of the palazzo . The first act is a house party and so they sell glasses of prosecco and you walk around and look at the house and you feel you are at a party yourself. They will also have a program in English that will explain the story.

You get there at about 7PM when they open(or 7:30 don't remember which )and you pay CASH at the door.

I think we were finished by 10PM-22:00?

The web site should say how long it is.

I thought it was a perfect way to spend an evening!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

I agree wholeheartedly with riffsmom. I too attended La Traviata at Musica Palazzo and thoroughly enjoyed it! I haven't been to the one at Scuola Grande dei Carmini so I can't compare them but when I visit Venice with a friend next April, I'll be returning to Musica Palazzo. It really is quite a nice experience - since it's not in an auditorium and in a cozy setting, you really do feel more involved in the story line.

You can use the search box above to see other people's opinions too (just type in Musica Palazzo).

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

Riffsmom, just out of curiosity, are you saying that they sold Prosecco during the first act and people walked around, or before the first act? I was there in 2006, and a few glasses of prosecco were given to the audience seated in the first row.

NGC, good idea to read about it. It'd be better if you can listen to it and be familiar with the music. This way you'll the most out of the performance.

I guess I can consider myself an opera buff, I attend about 15 operas a year. Before I attend a new opera, I'd listen to it for as long as I can, sometimes weeks. If you know the story, and are familiar with the music, you'll enjoy the opera!

And yes, I went to Musica Palazzo 3 times in 2006, and once in 2008, and will definitely go again!

Teo

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,301 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

I was there for La Traviata in 2007 and they sold the prosecco(for a few euro) before the opera began.

I went back in 2008 to hear Barber of Seville and no prosecco for that opera.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

well the proseco is for 'lo biamo' in the first act -- so the office can wave it around like the chorus is doing on stage

we saw an opera at La Fenice before it was burned down by contractors -- haven't seen the rebuilt opera house but the original (or latest original before this newest one) was a stunning little jewel box of a place -- I'd jump at a chance to see an opera there again

Malaysia
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

Thanks for all your responses!! I suppose Musica Palazzo is Palazzo Barbarigo- Minotto?

The whole idea seems very interesting and interactive with or without processo (I understand that's dessert wine?).

riffsmom, Need I buy the tickets at the ticket counter in advance or right before the show (7PM)? I am looking at their online purchasing and it has this category A/B which I emailed them on: they mentioned Category A is the best seats and B is 2nd best. It does seem very insecure! The website doesn't say how long it is. I was looking at the official website prior to posting to the forum.

vteotl, I'll head over to the bookshops to get some reading materials on this during lunch! =)

graceh9, I would love to watch at La Fenice which is one of the grandest in Europe but their latest production doesn't start till Oct 09 which is after I leave Venice, sadly! I hope someone will correct me and I'm wrong about that! I will still go admire the building for its architectural design!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,301 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

I am not sure what you are looking at about the A and B seats??? Perhaps they have changed their procedure but when I went you needed to make the res on line by giving your e-mail,your name, the date, and how many tickets you wanted. THEN you paid in CASH at the door.

Seats were first come first served(pick your own seat)

IF they are now asking for money/credit card then it is different. I would NOT wait until I got to Italy to book as each time the place seemed completely full to me!!!!

Altrincham, England
Level Contributor
120 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

The performances in the Palazzo Barbarigo are quite stunning. We saw Traviata a year ago. You may get a glass of wine offered to you if you are on the front row for Act One, but that is really only for show. Refreshments may be purchased when Act One is over and before Act Two begins. Sipping a glass of Prosecco on the balcony overlooking the Grand Canal is an experience in itself.

Venice has a number of websites which claim they can reserve seats for you (at a surcharge). If you find their own website: musicapalazzo you can make the email reservation and then pay on the door. Hope this helps.

9. Re: Opera in Venice - Experts / Opera Buffs- advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2010, 06:23