We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
908 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

I am actually intrigued by the idea of experiencing a good acqua alta (maybe being from Seattle I've got water on the brain) and think visiting Venice during January sounds enticing and beautiful. Am I crazy? It just seems like a cyclical thing that the Venetians have learned to deal with and that it would be a unique experience. (Granted, I also used to live on a sailboat and love big snowstorms, thunderstorms, etc. No Southern Calif. climate for me!) But, is the whole process considered a pain in the tusch for the locals and the Venetians would prefer we rubberneckers to stay away?

Would there be better places to stay during an acqua alta than others? (obviously, not on the ground floor unless I wanted to reaaaalllly enjoy the tide) While I like the idea of experiencing Venice during high tides, I wouldn't want to get completely stranded for half a day in some out of the way place.

Thanks-Sarah

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,258 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

Better if you can be there without really, just because you visit in January no reason there shoud be Acqua alta,

San Marco is most affected being lkow lying, Dorsoduro suffers less,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,577 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

Any reason for visiting Venice is a good one in my opinion but no guarantee you will experience an Acqua Alta in January or at any other time. They come when they feel like it; in all my many visits to Venice I have only experienced an Acqua Alta once.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,258 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

Me too Robert J

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

I've been in January but there was no acqua alta. Your best bet would probably be to time a winter visit when there is a full moon.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

I've been to Venice 2 different times in November and I've seen acqua alta both times. The second time was the middle 2 weeks of November and there were at least 2 days when I was in the St. Marks area that the duck boards were up and you could see the water in St. Marks Square and in the immediate surrounding area. Lasted only for a few hours.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,074 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

As said who knows ...it is more likely to happen in November or even early spring but we had a bit last week ...... I wouldn't count on it happening whislt you are here as it is hard to predict.

Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

Agree...

I live close, was in Venice (many, many) dozen of times, and NEVER experienced it (apart a few cm in St. Mark, that was mostly "dry" anyway).

So, you just and to go, and hope (in silence, without Rosa and her fellows living "on the poles" know)

Ciao

Francesco

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
80 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

On the other hand, I was in Venice last week and there was Acqua Alta, as they had heavy rains on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Thursday and Friday there was 6-8 inches of water in San Marco Square at the height of high tide. It was very interesting to see.

However, is 6-8 inches even considered Acqua Alta?

9. Re: Acqua alta: worth a visit to experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 05:19