We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
242 reviews
Save Topic
how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

Hi all, only have one full day to visit all in Venice, is it possible to visit both museums in one day and do them justice?

Thank you in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,169 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

Are you really into modern art? The Guggenheim is all modern and in my opinion, overpriced, especially as they charge quite a bit to get in then more for a very basic catalogue. However, I would allow 2 hours at least for the Accademia. But that is just my art bias showing.

Maybe give some time to the Doge's palace instead or the magnificent Venetian art in some of the churches, such as Frari or the Scuole san Rocco, that you can't see anywhere else.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

Agree with lynnb48, I was there last year for 5 days and Guggenheim was not on my agenda.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,988 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

I would agree with one day in Venice I would not bother with the Guggenheim, the Accademia may be but that would take up a few hours, Venice has so much to otfer just wandering about the City in general,

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

Thank you for your replies....it.s my boyfriend who is into art and he likes both the modern and traditional art, more of a leaning to the traditional which points to the Accademia!

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

Great article on Peggy Guggenheim in today's Independent newspaper,

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/fea…

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

The Accademia is excellent, 2 or 3 hours depending on how interested you are- the paintings by Carpacchio, mostly in rooms towards the end of the visit, are quite wonderful, and the Accademia is situated at the foot of the Accademia Bridge, from where you get super views in both directions over the Grand Canal.

london
Level Contributor
132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

Hi,

Every great city has an art gallery overloaded with masterpieces, there is an excellent collection of Venetian art in the National Gallery for instance (though sadly lacking in Carpaccios).

if I only had one day in Venice I would skip both galleries and actually go and see the paintings in the locations they were intended for. Top of my list would be the wonderful Carpaccio cycle in the Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni but there are plenty of other delights depending on your own tastes and preferences.

Enjoy your visit

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

Yes, I agree with Bettybird, sadly many of the greatest Venetian paintings are in art galleries or collections around the world, either plundered (eg by bad boy Napoleon) or sold. I find it very sad that there are so few Titians in Venice and hardly any Canalettos at all, though of course Canaletto was painting mainly for the English export market.

I remember seeing a TV programme on Burghley House (an English country house) which featured a painting by Veronese which the presenter proudly proclaimed had come from a church on Murano. "That's nothing to boast about," I thought. "It should still be on the walls of the church!"

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,465 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

If you are only in Venice for one day then I doubt you have time to spare for the Accademia and the Peggy Guggenheim, good though both are in their different ways.

The Accademia is by far the best single collection of Venetian paintings in Venice, or indeed anywhere. My wife and I can easliy spend half a day wandering round, and siting down to gaze at the many masterpieces.

The Peggy Guggenheim Museum of Modern Art is very different, being very much a collection of paintings and sculptures of the last 100 years. I mus admit I find quite a lot of exhibits hard to understand but lovers of modern art may well find it more fascinating. To me the best parts of the Guggenheim are the views from the Grand Canal front, the gardens and the excellent cafe - run by the same people as Ai Gondolieri just across the narrow canal in front of the PG

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how much time to allow visiting the Accademia & Guggenheim?

What came as a surprise and disappointment to me at the Accademia was how small and poor is their shop. And they don't even have a coffee shop. In the mood to buy some postcards, I found they had hardly any on sale at all- in fact the newspaper stand outside the Gallery had more! Can't help feeling these places are missing out here, especially compared with some places, eg in London and Paris.