We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

Westminster...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

As we got off of the train and walked through the doors to the Grand Canal- all of your advice went out the window. I was mesmerized.... I was in love!

We had planned our three days with churches to visit, places to go and things to do.( all with TA's help) We had the trip organized down to the minute.

Your forget to tell me that I would be happy just BEING in Venice- there was not reason to hurry, no sights that HAD to be seen.

Venice itself was to be experienced and just being there was enough.

We never made it in any of the churches-or other "sites" but filled our days walking, people watching eating, and staying in the best bed & breakfast of our entire trip to Italy (Room in Venice).

Thanks again for all of your help- maybe next time we will do what everyone recommends but to just be in Venice was more than enough this time!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,516 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

I agree I often advise on those lines, forget strict schedules Venice is to be enjoyed,

Collegeville, PA
Level Contributor
509 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

I totally agree with everything you wrote. Could not have said it any better. Just being in Venice is sheer joy.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

What a great post! Yes - Venice can have that affect on people. Venice is one of those places to be enjoyed at a slow pace, savored and experienced using all your senses. You are so right - just being there is enough.

Your post should be required reading for anyone who wants to "schedule their time". Although there is much to see, it is one of those rare and unique places that really doesn't require you to "do" anything to enjoy it!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

We had exactly the same experience! We thought we must at least try to go into St Marks cathedral, but only stood in the qeue for 5 minutes before deciding to rather go and sit at a street cafe to have some wine and watch people! How I wish I was there now!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

I haven't made it to Venice yet, but I completely get what you're saying - that has been my experience with virtually everywhere I've been in Italy. Most of the pleasure is due to simply being there.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,817 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

I just LOVE your post!! I felt the same way the first time I stepped off the train!!

Los ANGELES
Level Contributor
130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

Venice takes your breath away. My very first time as I stepped off the train.I realized how lucky I was to be there. St marks square, the little streets, everything is absolutely beautiful...

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

I'm so glad you allowed your heart to rule. I'm really proud of you.

So many of us advise folks to give themselves a chance to just "be" somewhere, and so many of them ignore us because they believe they need to "see". Consequently, they completely miss the spirit of the people and the culture and end up only with a punch list of sites. Something that is no improvement over travel videos in the family room, to be honest. Your experience was exactly what a good trip should be. Enormously moving, satisfying, and fun. Now, move all the items on your unrealized itinerary over to your Next Trip list along with the things that you wish to do again, and begin your planning. Item number one probably should be to give yourselves more time on the next holiday.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

vickasaurus... It isn/t it absolutely fabulous when you first arrive in Venice. Truly a sight for the senses. You are never quite prepared for what you will see.

Northfield...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: I read all of your advice, arrived in Venice but then...

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience! I have been very diligently reading this TA forum for some months now, and your post has touched me more than anything else that I have read. My wife and I are going to Veniceour first time in May for 8 days. Although I have planned much, your words have made me more open to abandon some of my plans and just enjoy being there. Thanks!