We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Venice

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Day Trips from Venice

Hello, hello

The wife and I are going to Venice for 4 days (3.5 really) at the end of October. My wife informs me that whilst we are there we would like to take a day trip to Verona.

I can see that there are trains that leave from the Venice to Verona and take about 1 and a half hours. What I really want to know is if it is worth it?

I’m sure Verona is a lovely place but is it worth sacrificing a whole day in a Venice for what effectively will be half a day in Verona? Also any tips on what to do if we do go to Verona.

Any advice gratefully appreciated

Sid

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,687 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Venice

Trains from Venice to Verona vary between around 75 to 90 minutes. Check train times on www.trenitalia.it (English language version).

Vwerona is very pleasant and if you are interested in opera well worth going to the onep aire operas held in the old Roman arena during the summer season.

However it is not large and has nothing like the range of things to see in Venice. If you are only going to be in Venice for 3.5 days then you could fill that time twice over, easily.

My wife and I never go to Venice for less than a week at a time. You can profitably spend a whole day going out to the northern islands of Murano (glass, fine chuirch of Sante Maria e Donato), Burano (lace, pretty painted houses, good sea-food restaurants0 and Torcello (the great early (638AD) cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta and its 9th to 12th century mosaics).

This only leaves you 2.5 days for the whole of the rest of Venice without even considering a ferry over to the Lido.

So, if it is your first visit to Venice I suggest you consider spending all of it in Venice and leaving Verona, Vicenza, Padua and Trevisio - all worth visiting - for day trips on further visits

Worcester UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Venice

Personally,I wouldn't bother with Verona.We visited Verona in the summer principally to go to the opera.The opera and the ampitheatre was a great night out and a very enjoyable experience.

However,Verona itself is a big industrial city with the 'old city' centre.I don't think it is a patch on Venice.The old city is attractive and we enjoyed touring the Basilica.Just outside the ampitheatre is also quite bustling.Oh yes - you can also visit 'Juliet's' balcony !!

But Venice offers something at just about every turn.If this is to be your first visit to Venice,I wouldn't advise wasting a day visiting Verona.It does not have that 'uniqueness' which we've only ever found in Venice.

I'm not trying to 'belittle' Verona - as cities go,it is attractive but,for me,no more than that.There's lots of attractive cities in Europe - but there's only one Venice.

(We were in Bruges a few weeks back,'Venice of the North' - attractive place,but no contest !!)

Portugal
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Venice

Hey, let me guess! you get there on saturday the 29th and leave on the first like us!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Venice

Hey Pata-hari, possibly not, as All Saints Day isn't a public holiday in Britain, so there's no long weekend this week there (holidays tend to be fixed on Mondays so "bridges" don't exist in any case).

Sidney, I'd say decide about Verona when you get to Venice. If like my husband you happen to be disappoined by Venice after your high hopes, then you cd go to Verona one day. Maybe even stop off at Vicenza for a walk round the centre too. The buildings in the centre of Vicenza incl some by Palladio are almost more impressive than Verona to my mind(except for arena which is very impressive).

As to my husband and Venice: we went one August as day trip from Vicenza and friends who have visited more off-season have now convinced him that he has to give it another go some time!

London
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Venice

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

I think we'll play it by ear and see just how enamoured I am with Venice before deciding on Verona or not. As you have all pointed out, there are an endless amount of activities in Venice. The real issue is that my wife has been several times before and I have never been.

I suppose I’ll just have to take her back to Verona etc some other time.

By the way, I’m actually going tomorrow (29th) until Sunday 30th – not public holidays but school holidays (both still at school!).

Thanks, once again

SidneyP

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Venice

We just returned from Venice and took a lovely tour to the hilltowns of Asolo which we loved and where we had lunch and to Bassano del Grappa where they make grappa. It was also a charming town. We toured a Palladio Villa and went to a Prosecco Winery for a tasting. We also stopped in Morostica which was ok. It was a long day but we enjoyed it. The lunch at a non touristy restaurant in Asolo was wonderful. All of this we booked through Adventure Bellisime or www.tours-italy.com/veneto/hilltowns. There were only 8 people on the tour in a Mercedes Minivan so a nice number. I recommend it.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Venice

While I think you will find Venice too irresistable to leave, if you must do a day trip I'd highly recommend seeing the hill towns of the Veneto. Asolo, the pearl of Veneto, is perched on lush-green hills. Great gardens and palatial villas, and geat views of the surrounding countryside. The other hill town I'd recommend is Bassano del Grappa. You should alot an entire day (8 hours) for this side trip.

Niantic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Venice

Save yourself the time! Verona is not at all worth it, in our opinion. We were just there for a day, having come from Bellagio on Lake Como and then Bergamo, two fabulous places. Try Lake Garda, anywhere in that area. We stayed at the "Juliette and Romeo" Hotel in Verona, and it was our worst experience in Italy. It's just not an enchanting city, lots of tourists, and not particularly clean.

San Jose CA
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips from Venice

It would seem the theme of the short trip could become, "It's Tuesday, It must be Belgium, taken from the old movie about people trying to see too much in too short a time.

I recently spent three weeks in Lucca – west of Florence about one hour. It wasn’t enough time. I’d just begun to find special shops and restaurants, make significant decisions about the various museums and local activities, made friends with the locals, when it was time to board the plane for SF.

The history and art in Venice will keep you busy each day, so my advice would be to walk, absorb, enjoy and see all there is that four days will allow. The longer you are in one place the more fun there is to enjoy. Special spots for dining, evening walks, listening to music, meeting Italians with interesting lives will be the very beginning of a life-time love affair with Venice.

Verona is nice but not the city I’d choose for a special side trip. Other trips to Italy will dazzle you with wonderful sites – include Verona on one of them.

Oh yes, be sure to see the Peggy Guggenheim Museum. Sit on the deck and watch the life of Venice float by. The building was her home – a place where she entertained some of the most exceptional artists of her time.

Mary

Edmonton, Canada
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips from Venice

SIdneyP

I have been to both Venice and Verona. Myself, I wouldn't give up a day in Venice

to go for a 1/2 day anywhere. Verona has Romeo and Juliet, but in reality its just a balcony and a statue. Stick with Venice!