We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

I am staying in venice for 3 nights and am wanting to know what is better to get for transportation etc. venicecard or vaperretto card?

We arrive in Treviso airport late Friday night and leave late Monday night.

We are needing to get the bus/coach into Piazzalle Roma and our hotel is 1 stop on the Vaporetto (unless we walk).

We will walk most of the weekend but would like to take a couple of waterboats as well.

What is the best thing to get for both convenience, cheapness and value for what you get please?

Many thanks

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

If you're leaving this Friday, you won't get any discount using the Venice Connected website (needs to be at least 1 week before you pick up) I would just get a 24 or 48 hour vaporetto pass when you arrive in Venice. The vaporetto pass starts from the time you validate it and ends for however long period you bought the pass for. So if you get a 48 hour pass Saturday at 8:00 a.m. it would end on Monday at 8:00 a.m.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

It depends how many trips on a water bus (vaporetto) you intend to make. Single tickets cost 6.50 euros and are valid for upto 60 minutes travel in any one direction - they do not act as return tickets..

Period travel cards are available from all ticket offices on all water bus landing stages fro periods varying from 12 hours (16 euros), 24 hoiurs 18 euros, 36 hurs (23 euros) up to 7 days (50 euros). Timing starts from when first swiped iun the card reader found on every landing stage.

You need to work out what you plan to do. If you plan to take one voyage on one day and then another voyage the next for instance you might end up with a 36 hours travel card for 23 euros as against buying two individual tickets for 13 euros. It all depend son the usage you will give a travel card.

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

Many thanks

Are the single trips on the vaperretto 6.50 euros whether you go 1 stop or 12 - is it the same price?

Also, does that cover the water taxis (or are they the vaperretto?)

Excuse my ignorance - obviously haven't been there before!

We leave next friday so am wondering in it's worth getting the venicecard to cover the coach from the airport and then all travel once in venice?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

One single vaporetto ticket is good for 60 minutes, no matter how many vaporetto stops. But past the 60 minutes, you'll need another vaporetto ticket. Think of the vaporetto as the public transportation (water buses) and the water taxis as private transportation that is very expensive and is not covered by the vaporetto pass.

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

Ooohhh I get it now - just like buses and taxi's here...but floating!

How often are the water buses?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

They run very often (less so late at night). The #1 vaporetto is the slow one that makes all the stops along the Grand Canal and the #2 makes less stops but stops at all the major stops. There is a schedule but I think at least every 15 minutes, there's a #1 or #2. See website: hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/muoversi/index.jsp

At all of the stops there is a board that has the schedule on it but most of them have an overhead electronic board that will let you know which vaporetto is coming and when the next one is. You can also tell before you actually get on board by looking at the front of the boat, it will tell you the # of the vaporetto and what direction it's going in.

It's really very easy to figure out (I'm directionally challenged and haven't gotten on the wrong vaporetto yet) but even so - riding along the Grand Canal is one of my favorite things to do while in Venice. Try to do it early in the morning and sit it one of the seats outside and again at night - it truly is magical!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

khafclondon

The pass will not cover your trip to and from Treviso airport, it is run by a different company, ATVO

Jess

New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

sorry, i'm a little confused about the difference between the two. i've never to been venice before but i'll be spending about 3 days there in may. what is the difference between a venice card and a vaporetto card? we were looking to get a 72-hour transportation pass. i also thought i read somewhere that there is a discount if you're under a certain age (29 i think?). how does that work? thanks!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

This is the website for the Rolling Venice Card: hellovenezia.com/jsp/…index.jsp

and the website for Venice Connected:

veniceconnected.com/local-public-transport

Before the Venice Connected website came online, you could get a Venice Card that included the vaporetto pass and some museums. I believe you can still get the Rolling Venice Card but since I'm older I really don't know which one is the better value for you. You get a discount by getting the vaporetto pass on the Venice connected website but it looks like a discount is built into the Rolling Venice Card.

10. Re: in Venice for 3 days - venicecard or vaperretto card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 06:22