We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

laundry mat

Florida
Level Contributor
723 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
laundry mat

We were considering renting an apartment and the end of our tour but decided to just stay in the same hotel when our tour ends. We will be at Westin Europa and Regina. Is there a laundy mat close by or a laundry service that will pick up and deliver? I want to try to avoid using the hotel for our laundry needs because it is so expensive. By the end of our tour in Italy we will have 10 days of dirty clothes and are going to Sweden after Italy and don't want to bring dirty clothes with us.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,071 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: laundry mat

Maybe but I think not in the San Marco area,

Northfield...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: laundry mat

VeniceExplorer lists a laundry service at San Marco 985 named "Gabriella". It is on Rio Terra de le Colone, not far from Piazza San Marco. I wouldn't know what kind of laundry service it is.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: laundry mat

There is a self serve laundromat just over the bridge out of the piazza of Santa Maria Formosa. Not far from San Marco at all. In fact you have to go past it if you walk from San Marco to SM Formosa. There was a small notice inside saying if you got the bag of washing there before about 12 midday they would do the wash for you. Worth checking as otherwise you waste two hours of your holiday, more if the place is busy.

Edited: 01 December 2009, 22:29
Florida
Level Contributor
723 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: laundry mat

Since there are no cars (taxis) in Venice how do I go about getting my laundry there. Do I just walk there with my suitcase?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: laundry mat

Depending on where you are coming from, you might take a vaporetto for part of the journey but, in general, if you want to take anything around with you in Venice, you walk and carry it.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
561 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: laundry mat

Yes, the laundromat off of Campo Santa Maria Formosa is the closest to your hotel. Walked by it many times....but, sorry I don't know the exact address. Just go to that campo and ask. Someone will direct you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: laundry mat

I have just dug out my map of Venice, and this laundromat is on Ruga Guiffa. As Lynn said, if you are walking from the San Zaccharia waterfront to Campo Santa Maria Formosa, you have to go along this street.

Florida
Level Contributor
723 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: laundry mat

Thank you all. I will be sure to pack some extra colapsable bags so I don't have to drag my suitcase down there.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: laundry mat

No don't use the one on Ruga Giuffa your clothes will vanish ( well some of them). Its is run by an older lady whos '1's and '2's look very similar when she writes the receipt. I used to use her regularly and on collecting one order I was 1 pair of trousers missing - I thought it was me but then it happened again . . I honestly don't know of a DIY laundry in the bottom end of Venice certainly there are a couple up near Piazzale Roma.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: laundry mat

The self-service laundry on Giudecca might be easiest to reach: catch Vaporetto No 2 from San Zaccaria in the direction of Giudecca. Get off at Zitelle vaporetto stop. Turn right as you leave the boat stop. Walk approx 50 yards and the "Orange" laundry is in the row of shops facing the Giudecca canal.

Not a lot of walking involved!