We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

venice trip report!!!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
venice trip report!!!

hi!

merry christmas to all of you!

we have just returned from our christmas holidays in venice where we had a really great time.we expected much from this city and we found much-much more!

here is our story:

we arrived in venice from thessaloniki via zurich with swiss international airlines.the flights were smooth and on time.since when we arrived it was very cold and rainy we skipped our first idea of taking the alilaguna transport and we took a water taxi.it was our first wonderful experience in venice. we arrived in our hotel-westin europa and regina(fantastic hotel,full review on tripadvisor hotels page)and after check-in and a quick coffee we went to st. marks square.what a bliss!the 5 minute walk to the square from the hotel was wonderfull and when we arrived at the piazza we were delighted to see the st. marks basilica and all the beautiful buildings around.it was like you were living in the past!

we visited the doge's palace and the prisons, st. marks basilica and museum correr,and we had a light lunch in danielli.after some shopping we went to rest in our hotel and get ready for venice by night!

if venice is trully magnificent during the day, at the evening is magical!.we went for some drinks at the bauer club and for walks along the narrow streets.

next day we were very excited to see more of venice so we had a quick coffee in the hotel and we went to rialto bridge and visited ca rezzonico and academia.on our way there we visited a couple of magnificent churches.also we saw an exibition of leonardo da vincci and we went also to scuola di san rocco (which was highly recomend it in tripadvisor-)after many hours wondering here and there we decided to return to the hotel ,have dinner there and just relax a bit at tiepolo -hotel bar with live piano music.next morning we visited scuola grande dei carmini , campo s.margarita if i remember well which we liked a lot-the original venice-in our opinion with the locals buying fishes and stuff ,small cafes and osterias around.it was very charming.we rented a gondola for a ride and it was worth paying-where else in the world can you do that?after our boat ride we visited peggy guggenheim museum and santa maria della salute.we got really excausted and we returned to the hotel for some rest.in the evening we went for a walk and for dinner close to the hotel at the la mia borsa restaurant(wonderful restaurant).we had a couple of drinks at harry's bar which we discovered that it is more for the locals than for the tourists-it wasn't bad but definatelly not a place to recommend.later that night we experienced the aqua alta -how strange it looked!definatelly a touristic attraction!on christmas day we just wondered around and made some shopping mostly souvenirs for presents and some murano (of course)glasses for our home.since the weather was very fine and sunny we sat outside for lunch at the savoia-jolanda hotel in the principessa restaurant.tasty food, good service and beautiful views.at the evening we attended a concert in s.stephano campo the interpreti veneziani (vivaldi, haydn)a memorable experience and dinner at the hotel.our last day we just walked around the city and after passing rialto bridge we had lunch in restaurant florida where we sat outside cause they had heaters next to the tables.how lovely it was to sit and enjoy your lunch with views to the grand canal.after a coffee in florian we checked out from our hotel.

later that evening we took the plane back home.

overall it was a trip very enjoyable.everything was great and nothing went wrong.venice is a remarkable city, a unique city.venecians were polite and always helpful when we asked for information.fortunatelly aqua alta was happening only during the night so every morning everypart of the city was walkable.

food can be expensive in venice but everywhere we ate we enjoyed it very much.

exept from gondola ride and water taxi from and to the airport everywhere else we were going on foot which i strongly recomend.

we will definatelly go back someday!thank you all here on trip advisor for your useful information which made our trip even better.

Mercati di Rialto
Flea & Street Markets
Palazzo Grimani
Historic Sites, Art Galleries, Architectural Buildings
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,801 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: venice trip report!!!

Very nice too ,you really seemed to have a great time in not the best weather conditions,

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,398 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: venice trip report!!!

Excellent trip report, I felt like I was in St Mark’s Square as well!

Venice is another destination on my ‘to do list’, would love to visit one day. There are so many things to see and do, sounds like you found a good balance between relaxation and sightseeing. The Westin Europe & Regina looks a lovely hotel, just seen your photographs, looks fantastic. Will add this hotel to my list as well!

Blwyddyn Newydd Dda.

Happy New Year.

Los ANGELES
Level Contributor
130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: venice trip report!!!

thank you for your report. Makes me feel like I am there,in beautiful Venice enjoying all it has to offer.,

Australia
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: venice trip report!!!

Thank you for telling us about your visit; it's good you enjoyed that wonderful city. I do hope you can get back one day.

May 2010 be a good year for you.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: venice trip report!!!

hi again!

once while on tripadvisor forum page about venice maybe a year or more ago i read a trip report saying that it is not worth it that it is very touristic and so on.i remember then i was strongly dissageed with the reviewer even though i hadn't visit venice and i posted my thoughts!

now, that i can have my personal opinion for the city i can say that venice is like no other city in the world!and believe me i have traveled a lot!

i wish we could have stay longer cause in venice every day is an experience not to be missed.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: venice trip report!!!

One visit to Venice is never enough. Glad that you plan to return. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and made the most of each day.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: venice trip report!!!

I enjoyed reading your trip report telis. So glad you enjoyed your visit to Venice. Venice truly is a unique and magical place and I'm happy that you discovered that for yourself.

8. Re: venice trip report!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 05:19