We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
England
Level Contributor
131 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Winter restaurants

We will be in Venice for four or five days fron 20th January- couod anyone suggest cosy comfy local restaurants for simple evening meals. We are more interested in being with local people if possible though we realise that in Venice you cannot avoid people like ouselves, visitors. Thanks for any information- et poi, grazie per la vostra aiuta.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,309 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter restaurants

Venice is a living City open all year round, but for convenience best know which area you area staying,

UK
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter restaurants

Our favourite little local restaurants in Venice are:

Trattoria all'Antica Mola on Fondamenta degli Ormesini in Cannaregio

Da Alberto on Calle G. Gallina in Cannaregio

Da Beppi in Salizzada D. Pistor in Cannaregio

A little larger but equally popular with the Venetians and also excellent:

Taverna San Trovaso on Fondamenta Priuli near the Accademia

Venice is a small city so all these places will be within a 20 minute walking distance of wherever you are staying in the city.

Buon appetito e Buon Anno!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,723 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter restaurants

There is no such thing in Venice anymore o fa restraaunt only used by locals. The tourists get everywhere!

An excellent guide to eating in Venice is Michela Scibilia book "Venice Osterie" which comments, with photographs, on a wide range of establishments. Another useful guide, directed more to an American readership, is "Chow! Venice" by Shannon Essa and Ruth Edenbaum. This has no photographs but much longer descriptions.

Point Pleasant...
Level Contributor
238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter restaurants

There is a recommendation in "Chow Venice" for a wonderful restaurant Alla Strega (Castello) It has great pizza (countless selection,) and is delicious and reasonable. Have been there a couple of times. Not very touristy. But everytime I return to Venice, a visit to Alla Strega is a must. They do have a website so you can get directions.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,770 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter restaurants

For something simple and local, I strongly suggest "Al Nono Risorto" tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d6… near San Cassiano (San Polo/San Giacomo dell'Orio) for me, the best pizza in Venice, and also very good primi and antipasti too. For something with many locals, very comfortable, but a little less simple (I do not suggest pizza there, for example, follow the advice of the day's freshest catch) "da Alvise" tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d1… (the reviews seem very negative, but to be honest, I have always asked and followed suggestions of the waiters/owners and never regretted it, not cheap, but not overpriced either). Also, in the Cannaregio area "Al Timon" tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d1… (for eating wonderful plates of mixed "cicheti" more than their other plates) and "Bentigodi da Francesca" (reviewed under tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187870-d1… but Andrea, from what I've heard, is working on his dream of opening an "agriturismo" in Tuscany - can't wait - but Francesca hasn't let anything slide).

If not, the various "bacari" around the San Polo/Mercato Rialto area can provide cumulative "meals" of cicheti which are uniquely Venetian, "cichettando" from one to another, to another yet, having a couple tastes in one, and another, and another...

Edited: 09 January 2010, 22:18
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,309 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter restaurants

I do think it does help to say where you are staying, nice to eat locally than have to walk half across the City to eat, most areas have little gems,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,770 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter restaurants

In the specific case of Venice, walking half way across the city (and back by a different route) is one of the few real advantages that Venice has to offer over the rest of the globe: you can wander to and from your restaurant in the magnificent context of Venice and never once seriously worry about getting run over as you cross the street (unless the Venice Marathon, Su & Zo per i Ponti, the raduno degli Alpini, the Comiziato della Lega Nord, or one of those seemingly silly orienteering events is on in the city).

And if you leave early for the restaurant, so that if you get distracted by the ambiance of a cichetteria along the way, well, it should be vacation, shouldn't it?

P.S. in late January, you won't have problems with any of the events I cited, though high water *could* make it a bit of an adventure... to be enjoyed, if taken with the right attitude, hopefully.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 12:00
England
Level Contributor
131 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter restaurants

Thank you all for your help - we still haven't decided where to stay as there seems to be quite a choice of hotels at very reasonable prices in Janauary. I suspect it will be Albergo al Ponte dei Sospipri. However I realise that Venice is comfortably"walkable" so nowhere is too far away. I am really grateful for all your suggestions it gives us a starting point and we will indeed wander off the beaten tracki to see all that Venice has to offer.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,309 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter restaurants

I always think somewhere in easy walking disrance is a bonus, , I agree nothing better than strolling around Venice, for the most part getting lost, but not with a certain Restaurant in mind,

10. Re: Winter restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 05:17