We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Venice

Oxford
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Venice

We are looking to visit Venice in April can anyone forward information on good vaue BB hotels and best location for sight seeing, it would be nice to be by the side of one of the canals, also the must see sights. The transfer cost from the San Marco airport to Piazzale Roma or Hotel.

We hope to also make a trip to either the Dolomites or Florence can anyone advise on approximate costs of coaches or trains please.

We are a mature couple.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Venice

I suggest to look for something in the area of Piazzale Roma-Santa Lucia Station (Quarter Cannaregio). So you would arrive and find your hotel at a short distance and drop without any effort your luggage, then you would be free to walk around wherever you want. Before leaving it would be very practical too. And in the Cannaregio area it is possible to find relatively cheap options.

I don't suggest a trip to Florence: it is rather far and trains are expensive. Above all, you'd have just few hours to see Florence, and it would deserve at least 2-3 days. From Venice you can reach easily and in little time (by regional train) cities like Padua, Vicenza or Treviso which are very interesting too.

Oxford
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Venice

Many thanks for this, we have been to Florence on a whistle stop visit and appreciate one day is not reallyenough time, not knowing the train costs i will take your advice and perhaps look closer.

Thanks

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,615 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Venice

Venice is not big location is not really important, very walkable but there is a good Water Bus service,

We always use B&B's we find them good value, as so many to choose from in Venice, go on to the Hotel site on the left, that will give the link to B&B's

Buses from Marco Polo cost €3 for the Atvo service which I recommend, plenty of luggage space and non-stop, this goes to Piazzale Roma, if you stay in the San Marco area I feel the Alilaguna ferry is more straight forward, cost €13.

www.alilaguna.it

ireland
Level Contributor
976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Venice

If you click on the link to the Alilaguna site that Sophie gave you, you can look at the maps for the red, blue and orange lines, then you know exactly which area's are easy to get to.

I find Booking.com a good site for browsing, they give the price for the entire stay, and their maps are fairly accurate. If your dates are towards the end of April when the Easter holidays are over you might get a bargin.

If you Google Veniceconnected.com there is a small reduction on the price of a return Alilaguna transfer.

5. Re: Trip to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2010, 07:16