We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice is a Day

San Francisco, CA
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Venice is a Day

On December 9, 2005, myself and a companion will traveling from Milan to Venice for the day. What are the "must see places and things to do" while in Venice for the day? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice is a Day

A day is not enough - forget the trip and do something else in Milan. Venice in any case will not be at its best in early December.

San Francisco, CA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice is a Day

Robert,

Thank you for your response. However, anytime spend in Venice, even on day, is worth it. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice is a Day

Buy a day ticket on the public boat system (very cheap) and then you can save time. Being able to get on and, off the various stops along Grand Canal when you fancy is far more convenient and attractive. See St Marks square and perhaps go up the tower, walk to Renalto bridge from St Marks, look around the various gift shops in that area, but I suggest you do the length of the Grand Canal first to take the beauty of Venice in.

Enjoy, I have been to Venice 5 times, as day visits and last year for 3 days in the city. You can certainly see a lot in a day, but leave out the museums.

San Francisco, CA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice is a Day

Thank you bofcof. I appreciate your input as well. I will definately add this to my itinerary.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,446 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice is a Day

I agree in a day take a vaparetto down the Grand Canal and explore Saint Marks Square,I have been to Venice more times than I remember and still find something new to marvel about,

Paris, France
Level Contributor
53 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice is a Day

I agree with robert the best expert

you need time to smell venice

,to make a promenade in the small calle, to eat venitian taste

so go to Bergamo small and nice town near milano

or go to Côme

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,612 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice is a Day

I perhaps ought to aplogise a little to Redrose for being quite so curt in my response. However I do think the idea of a day trip from Milan to Venice is misguided for several reasons. First, the train journey takes about 2 hours 40 minutes so youy will be spending more than 5 hours on the train, which takes a chunk out of the 24 hours.

Second, as others have said, Venice is a truely great city, with so much to see and do that the inside of a day - and a short period of daytime in December - is not enough to do justice, and indeed I think close to being an insult to Venice.

Third, Milan is a city my wife and I visit often - it is a big city, with a tremendous amount to see and do. Somebody recently said on another query that they were nbored with Milan after the seocnd day and thought that its so-called experiences were nothing much - a specific reference was made to nothing happening at the Castello Sforzesco - an enormous Renaissance palace/fortress with such gems as a Michelangelo's Rondanini Pieta and leonardo da Vinci's room decorated to look like a leafy glade ina forest with heraldic shileds hanging from the branches. Ah, well, it takes all sorts as they say.

Even if you tire of big cities then there are delights such as the Citta Alta in bergamo less than an hour away which would be a better way to spend a short december day than a lengthy trip to Venice.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice is a Day

Redrose...I was in Venice this past week (stayed for 4 days). If you really want to go (even for the day), do as the others have suggested, by a day pass for the Grand Canal (10Euro/per person) and that alone will give you some sense of the city....the trip down the canal from start to finish takes about 1.5hrs. Then wonder to St Marks sqaure or stop at Vaparetto stop St Zaccarhia, just a few steps away .

I loved Venice but the moment I got to the square and looked up the the basilica and heard the live entertainment from a neighbouring cafe, I had tears in my eyes from all the beauty there was to take in. One day isn't enough, but if that is all you have then make the most of it and settle on 1 or 2 main attractions so as not to overwhelm yourself with the experience. Good luck!

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice is a Day

Redrose,

You'll find quite often that people who live "across the pond" advise that it's better not to go to Paris/Venice/Rome/etc. unless you can spend the proper amount of time there, but that's perhaps because it's a bit easier for them to travel than you or I who live on the West Coast of America. It's easy to say "wait till another trip" when you live 3-4 hours away! Some poeple may only get one shot, for whatever reason, and even if it's only for a day, SEE VENICE! When you step from the train station and see the canal, you'll be in awe of what an amazing piece of art Venice is. You'll be able to relive that experience over and over for the rest of your life and it's absolutely worth it.

As far as must see's, depending on how long you're actually in the city, the Basilica di San Marco is impressive and you'll want to take a look inside, The Doge's palace next door is interesting, but I'd suggest skipping that due to the limited time. The Rialto bridge is fairly close by, and you might want to find it on your walk through the city, but I wouldn't necessarily suggest the Rialto as a destination unless you happen to have walked that way. You'll find plenty of small churches and most of them are gorgeous inside. Discover the small canals and bridges, do a little window shopping on your way, grab a quick bite to eat and enjoy your hours in Venice. Take a lot of photos. Venice is one of, if not, the most photogenic spots in the world.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice is a Day

As others have said a day really isnt enough time to see a LOT of Venice but you could do a fair bit, get there EARLY! My suggestions - straight to St Marks Square, go IN to to Basillica and up the campanille (the bell tower - and it has a lift) for a brilliant view of the city. Take a vaporetto around the Grand Canal, even if you just hop on and stay on - it's well worth it. If you're into art, the Accademia Gallery has a wonderful collection. Go to the church called the Friari, simply beautiful. If you have time go to the island of Murano, famous for its glass, there are plenty of foundries you can visit for free to watch them blow incredible glass works.