We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too early to book hotel?

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Too early to book hotel?

We are going on a cruise October 17 out of Venice and will be getting to Venice 2 days prior. I've found lots of suggestions for hotels, but I'm wondering when the best time is to book. I know prices are high, but should I wait for a few more months?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too early to book hotel?

Prices will not differ well reviewed Hotels can get booked Months ahead, October is regarded as high season,

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,642 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too early to book hotel?

I generally book a hotel about six months before I wish to travel to be certain of obtaining the room I would like in the Hotel I would like. October is still quite a busy month, especially during the first half of the month so prices in many Hotels have not yet been reduced for the Low Season rates.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too early to book hotel?

I will be in Venice in June 2010 with a group of 14 people, and I booked our hotel in September 2009. No, it's not too early.

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
564 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too early to book hotel?

I started booking for our April-May trip 6 months in advance and I'm glad I did, because most rates have gone up since I booked. I suggest booking as soon as possible with a reservation that is easy to change or cancel if rates go down.

And if your even slightly unsure of your dates, double-book. I had to shorten a stay at one hotel by one night, and the online reservation system considered that a cancellation and rebooking, with the rate having increased by more than 30%!!!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too early to book hotel?

No, it is not too early to book for an October visit. In fact, I would not be surprised if some of the more popular places to stay, like Locanda Orseolo, would already have limited availability in October. I would definitely start moving on reserving now or very soon.

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too early to book hotel?

I would book ahead as early as possible, we booked over six months in advance and our hotel is now listing rooms for double what we paid (2 months away from our trip)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too early to book hotel?

Prices are more dependant on the Season you go, high /Middle /low,

how long before or late you book really does not make a lot of difference,

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
564 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too early to book hotel?

Whether or not the rates go up definitely depend on the hotel. Sophie is probably correct that many hotels have fixed rates for each season, but other hotels have rates that rise with the occupancy rate; rates are lower when the hotel is only 30% booked than when it is 80% booked. This usually means the earlier you book, the lower the rate. Sometimes these rates can go down at large hotels if they get a cancellation from a large group.

I used to think that this type of room rate to occupancy rate linkage was only at large chain hotels like Hilton, Starwood, etc., but the B&B we have booked in Florence, just 5 rooms, does the same thing; the rate goes up as the rooms are booked, so the 5th room to be filled is quite a bit more than the 1st.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,645 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too early to book hotel?

Maybe so but a lot of Hotels /B&Bs have set prices on their web-sites

for the different seasons they do not change whether they have 1 or 10 rooms filled,

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too early to book hotel?

For what it's worth I was looking at hotels for September last month from hotels.com and decided not to book yet. Now they are double the price. I don't know what changed in a month but I went ahead and booked now just in case.

If you get it off of hotels.com you can always cancel your reservation (as long as you do in a few days in advance and it isn't an early bird price that is non-refundable). That way you can always cancel and rebook if the prices fall.