We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Verona & Padua

Tenafly, NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Verona & Padua

Would like to do a day trip to V&P. We will be staying in Castello, very close to San Zacc stop. Would any one care to guide us please with directions? We take the Verona/Milan line? Which town should we visit first and is it as easy as taking the train and just walking to the main attractions in both towns, and/or do we hop a bus to get closer to i.e., Arena and St. Anthony's shrine and Verona's center hub?

Thank y ou so much.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Verona & Padua

Hello

the train to Verona is a little over an hour on the fastest train (18.50 euro 2nd class, with seat reservation) and 2 hours on the regional train (6.15 euro, 2nd class, on the regional train you must validate your ticket before boarding and there is no assigned seating)

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

At the train station look for the tourist office to purchase the Verona Card (10 euro) includes transportation and church and museum entrance fees, including the arena. You can also pick up maps etc at the TI.

There is frequent bus service to the center.

www.comune.verona.it/turismo/veronacard.htm

on the website there are also some proposed itineries as well.

We had a lovely lunch at Osteria Giulietta e Romeo

Corso S. Anastasia 27

Verona is a great day trip, enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Verona & Padua

I wouldn't try to see them both on the same day, if I were you. I have visited both places from Venice by train, and had no problems finding the historic centres on foot from the rail stations. There is enough in each place to keep you busy till it's time to go back. If you must see them both on the same day, I don't see that it matters much which you see first. I don't know much about it, but apparently you need to book ahead to get a time ticket for the Scrovegni Chapel - a search on this site should find all you need to know. Perhaps the time of your ticket (if you intend to visit the chapel) will decide where you go first.

Getting on the right train is no problem either - just watch the screens and know the final destination of your train and its departure time. The screens will show the platform (binario) number. The station used to have one of those lovely noticeboards where the letters changed in a sort of waterfall effect, but I noticed last time I was there it wasn't working.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Verona & Padua

I too would not do Verona and Padua in the same day. In both cities we walked from the train to the center of town. It does make a nice quick day trip from Venice.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,656 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Verona & Padua

Booking for the wonderful Scrovegni Chapel in Padova is essential and needs to be done 2/3 days in advance. See www.cappelladegliscrovegni.it.

It is easy to reach the Santa Lucia station in Venice. Just take a No 1 or No2 water bus down the Grand Canal from San Zaccaria or Vallaresso landing stages to the Ferrovia landing stage immediately in front of the station.

There are frequent trains to Padova taking around 25/30 minutes and just over the hour to Verona.

There is really quite a lot to see in both cities and it is very easy to spend a whole day in either.

Tenafly, NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Verona & Padua

Thank you all so much. As we only have 3 nights in Venice, leaving on the 4th day for Florence, perhaps it seems feasible to do one or the other (padua/verona) ??

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,844 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Verona & Padua

Three days stay in Venice more than enough to keep you happy

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Verona & Padua

Diotima.. I did not realize you only had 3 nights in Venice. I agree with sophie why not spend all your time in Venice. You also have Murano and Burano to explore.

Tenafly, NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Verona & Padua

That may not be a bad idea. We arrive on 5/2, early morning, but still may be quite jet-lagged, so that first day maybe shot? Leaving for Florence on 5/5. It would probably do us good to stay put; but i want to see as much as I can. I understand Murano and Burano are nice, but lace/glass, etc instead of Verona??

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,844 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice to Verona & Padua

With 3 day's I would not even bother with the Islands, but see how it goes,

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice to Verona & Padua

You will not know for sure until you get to Venice. But if you react to venice like most of us on this forum do you will not be concerned about getting away for day trips. You will be absolutely captivated by this magical city. The moment you leave Venice you will already be thinking When Can I Return. I hope it works for you.